Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Release Valve broke, leaving part of the valve in the top of my DE4800 assembly

1. Back To Top    #1

Release Valve broke, leaving part of the valve in the top of my DE4800 assembly

Every year, I manage to break something new. This year, I hope this is the only thing.
    I was replacing the pressure gauge and added pvc tape and greased the o rings. I thought i was in good shape and then i screwed the release valve into the top of the DE filter enclosure and it seemed tight, but then i twisted it a bit more and suddenly was able to keep turning, so i turned more and then snap, it broke off, leaving part of the valve in the assembly.
    1. How do I get it out? Do i use a drill?
    2. Is it possible that the thread in the top of the enclosure is stripped and that's why i was able to keep turning? If so, how do I fix that? Is it worth replacing the top cover or just getting a new filter?

Thanks, as always!
    Patty
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Release Valve broke, leaving part of the valve in the top of my DE4800 assembly

Happened to me, too. Most likely the plastic just got brittle.

Did it break off flush, or is there still a collar of plastic left above the O-ring? If the collar is still there, a pair of pliers is your friend.

You should be able to wedge something in there and just unscrew it. A chisel, a table knife, anything metal the right width. Just press it in, maybe tap on it with a hammer so it cuts in, and then unscrew.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Release Valve broke, leaving part of the valve in the top of my DE4800 assembly

You are the best. got a screw driver.. tapped it in and voila, was able to unscrew it.
    Thanks again - You've responded to a bunch of my other posts too.. really appreciate it!! I probably would have destroyed it with a drill ..
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.