Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My head is about to explode!

1. Back To Top    #1

My head is about to explode!

Hi guys,

You must get tired of the newbies coming on here, but its awesome to see the help. Ive been lurking, reading as much as I can including pool school.

Brand new vinyl pool with SWG, sand filter, about 35k gallons in size.
    Thought I was getting close, then I took my sample into the store to back me up. Im now confused.

Used the pool calculator and added just shy of 2 gallons of Clorox bleach last night. First thing this morning the test showed near perfect FC. Using a Leslie's complete poolcare DPD test kit.

3hrs later tested again and FC is 0, so I took a sample into the store.

Stats:
    Water is clear

FC-0
    TAC-0
    Salt- 3000
    CH- 100
    CYA- 50
    TA- 110
    pH-7.6
    copper-0
    iron-0
    Phosphates- 200

Store guy was confused too, when I shared the FC stats and how I added the liquid bleach.

Currently running the SWG on boost, and added 2 lbs of granular chlori-brite.

What do you recommend? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My head is about to explode!

Welcome to TFP!

Only 2 things consume FC, the sun or something in the water. With that CYA, the sun is not likely the problem. So, must be something in the water.

So, the SLAM process is likely what is needed. But to do that, you will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test added to your kit.

Post your numbers, not the pool stores which are notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent.

Also, stick with liquid chlorine or you are going to make your CYA higher and have to use higher FC level for the SLAM. You can raise it a bit after the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks for confirming my thought to slam. I know its not safe to swim with FC at zero, but cannot find a definite answer on swimming while slamming. Maybe its obvious...

4. Back To Top    #4

Definite answer>>>> It is safe to swim up to SLAM level per your CYA. But NOT if you can't see the bottom clearly.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Medeco View Post
    What do you recommend? Thanks!
    Trust your own test results.

That test kit you have is the K-2005. They probably sold it to you telling you it was the same as the K-2006. It's not. You're not the first to have that happen to them. The good news is, adding this will bring you up to a K-2006. With the FAS-DPD test (which is not the same as the DPD test) you'll be able to read your chlorine to within .2 parts per million and do an overnight drop test. That will tell you for sure if something is growing and eating your chlorine or not.

Don't dump any more powders in your pool!! That Chlor-brite is Dichlor. MSDS In a pool your size, 2 lbs only added 3.8 FC, but it added 3.5 CYA as well! And lowered pH by about .14. With a SWG, that's not all bad, but if you need to SLAM, that means the chlorine level needs to be even higher!

You have a test kit. Believe it. If you're unsure if you're testing correctly, watch the videos. But trust yourself. The sample is fresh and the kit is accurate. And nobody's trying to push any products on you at home. They don't offer free testing to be neighborly, they do it to generate sales!

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

exactly what Richard said.

As a FYI, the Pool Store testing as well as their recommendations are notoriously flawed. Trust your test results, if there is a question, do the test again. And ask questions here and you'll get all the help you need.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and enjoy that pool !
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the tips. When I bought the kit, I had zeroed in on the Taylor 2005 from the internet simply from ratings more than knowledge, but they only had the 2006, and neither I nor they, knew what it offered that was different from the 2005. Oh well, easy fix.

Should I be concerned about the phosphates level in my OP? Ive yet to read anyone talking about this.

8. Back To Top    #8

Phosphates levels are largely meaningless-and that ain't much anyhow. Don't buy anything to fix it!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

How does your water look, by the way? How long has the pool been filled? What is your source of fill water (municipal, well, ect...)?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Hi, welcome to TFP! Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

How does your water look, by the way? How long has the pool been filled? What is your source of fill water (municipal, well, ect...)?
    Done!

Water is clear, pool has been filled since April 23, started pump and cleaning 2nd week of May, had fair amount of dirt in the bottom. Water is municipal.

I'll update test stats in the morning. Thanks!
    IG pool, vinyl, 35k gallons, Hayward 1hp super pump series, Hayward top mount sand pump S244T with vari-flo XL, SWG-Saline Generating systems Breeze 540, Hayward SharkVac XL,