Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help! Have filter half apart and the collar won't BUDGE! What can I do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help! Have filter half apart and the collar won't BUDGE! What can I do?

I need to remove the sand and check the laterals because we're getting substantial sand in the return lines. So of course, the water won't clear and I'm worried that the sand coming through is damaging the rest of the system. So I replaced my shop vac, got all my tools, including the wrench that came with the filter, sent the kids out so I could concentrate and get the job done and I can't get to the sand, much less the laterals because the collar is stuck. Honestly, I don't know what else can go wrong this year. *sigh* I removed the nut and bolt that secures the collar, but that collar just WILL NOT MOVE. I put some silicone spray on it (heaven help me if *that* isn't good) but I don't know what else to do here. Am just about in tears, I'm so frustrated. It is a 19 inch waterways millenium series filter. Please, if you have *any* ideas, let me know. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help! Have filter half apart and the collar won't BUDGE! What can I do?

Often taping lightly with a hammer will free it up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Please help! Have filter half apart and the collar won't BUDGE! What can I do?

Better around the top of the collar, similar to using a knife on a jar lid? Or around the outside? Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, first thing, lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. You want to turn it counterclockwise. So to do that, you hook that collar wrench on so the hook is at 3 o'clock and the handle is at 9 o'clock. Then turn counterclockwise. Or slip a pipe over the handle for more leverage. Or tap on it with a hammer as a last resort.

This diagram is what you have?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you open the air bleed at the gauge and remove the filter drain plug before trying to remove the collar?

After that, tap lightly with a rubber mallet or hammer and piece of wood.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

6. Back To Top    #6

The light taps w/the hammer worked!! Thank you SO much--it felt like that collar was welded on. So I got to the laterals (that I had inspected and cleaned not a month ago) and I don't know how it happened, but one of them had come unscrewed again. Wow. Several sweaty muddy hours, raw hands and an aching back later, I *think* everything is doing what it is supposed to do! I can't believe it--I LOVE that pool, but I was really ready to give up. Thank you all for your help!--Leslie

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad you got it sorted! I'll tell you, pool maintenance can be down right PAINFUL!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Make sure you silicone spray the threads before putting it back together or you ll end up right back where you started.