SWG Pool with High CH

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of my dad in Tucson, AZ. He's having some trouble with high amounts of calcium. Here are the particulars about his pool:

10,000 gal. IG pebble tec SWG, cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump

His TF-100 test results are as follows (just taken):

FC = 0
CC = 0.5
TA = 30
CH = 1,450
CYA = 30
pH = 7.8

He was very surprised to see that he had no chlorine this morning, as that has never been a problem. However, there were some pretty heavy winds there this week that he said blew quite a bit of leaf debris into the water, which he swept and skimmed out this morning after testing the water.

Is there anything he can do in particular to address the high CH issue?

High CH levels can be compensated for by lowering TA and PH. That doesn't do anything to lower the CH level, it just prevents the calcium from depositing as scale on the pool surface. And even then there are limits to how low you can go with TA and PH, which means that CH around 1200 is about as high as you can go safely.

He realizes that water replacement is needed, but he's trying to hold off until the weather cools back down. He has concerns about the pebble tec surface being exposed to the 100+ temperatures while the pool is being drained and refilled. In the meantime, would adjusting TA and pH prevent calcium deposits from building up in the pump, etc.?

My dad read about a product called Metal Free made by Natural Chemistry. Is anyone familiar with it? Again, just trying to find a temporary fix to help get him through until the weather is cool enough to drain and expose the pebble tec surface.

You can replace water without draining the pool. It does use more water, but might be an appropriate choice in this instance. Simply add water at the same time you are draining water, adjusting the faster process so the water level stays more or less uniform.

We don't recommend using Metal Free. There are some other sequestrants that might help, but I doubt that any of them will help enough to deal with CH that high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.