Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to open my pool. Have a couple of ducks that visit.

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to open my pool. Have a couple of ducks that visit.

Hey

Over my winter pool cover water has collected and I have a couple of ducks that seem to come about once a day to eat (i feed them), bathe and drink water. Now with the weather starting to get to pool season I'm looking to open my pool. Of course you know this will involve shocking the pool among possible various other chemicals. I don't want them to get sick. Any thoughts on the subject.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready to open my pool. Have a couple of ducks that visit.

My first thought would be to put a kiddie pool / bird bath type of thing beside the pool and leave the cover on (dry) until they get the idea. Feed them on the far side of the alternate water supply.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    My first thought would be to put a kiddie pool / bird bath type of thing beside the pool and leave the cover on (dry) until they get the idea. Feed them on the far side of the alternate water supply.
    Great idea! Maybe even set up an autofill bowl.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I get a pair of ducks that come back every spring. They usually stop coming soon after opening, but I've seen them swimming before with my pool at SLAM levels and it doesn't seem to bother them.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit