Return Flow Question

Jul 11, 2013
Wichita, KS
I have three returns (2 regular returns and one for the pool cleaner). The two regular returns have different flow coming out. The one closest to the pool equipment comes out pretty fast and shoots up through the surface of the water a bit. The second return is about what I'd consider normal. For the life of me, I can't remember if the flow is the same or more than last year (just put in the pool last year). Does that sound normal?

For clarification, it does it regardless of just backwashing, or rising pump pressure prior to backwashing? Same flow in either scenario. My pump pressure is usually at 17 PSI (with my new gauge from TFtestkits.com). After about a week, it usually rises to about 20 to 22 psi.

Behavior like that is fairly common. It isn't ideal for it to be that way, but it isn't a real problem either. This happens because the plumbing run to one of the returns is longer than the plumbing run to the other return, so the flow rates are uneven.

If you feel industrious you can balance the flow rate by getting a return fitting that has a larger opening for the return with the higher flow rate, or alternatively getting one with a smaller opening for the one with the weaker jet. The larger opening will slow down the water velocity, while a smaller opening will speed up the water velocity coming out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.