Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I shock?

Please start your own thread if you have questions about your pool. Then answers intended for you are not confused with answers intended for the one who started the thread. Thank you, Zea3

Hi opened my pool today pump is running and water is crystal clear dirt on bottom. Here are my readings
    FC 1.6, cc .2, ph 7.4, ta 90, calcium 90, cya40
    I guess my question is should I shock? Probably get free chlorine up some everything else looks pretty good to me?
    Last edited by zea3; 05-24-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: split posts to a new thread
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Pentair DE quad 100 filter
    Auto chlorinator and nature 2
    Inground pebble
    Intelliflo variable speed 3 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easy opening

Those are not my numbers, I have a chlorine pool 19500 gallons
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Pentair DE quad 100 filter
    Auto chlorinator and nature 2
    Inground pebble
    Intelliflo variable speed 3 HP pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Should I shock?

Quote Originally Posted by micmlm View Post
    Please start your own thread if you have questions about your pool. Then answers intended for you are not confused with answers intended for the one who started the thread. Thank you, Zea3

Hi opened my pool today pump is running and water is crystal clear dirt on bottom. Here are my readings
    FC 1.6, cc .2, ph 7.4, ta 90, calcium 90, cya40
    I guess my question is should I shock? Probably get free chlorine up some everything else looks pretty good to me?
    It doesn't look like you need it, really. CC is really low and you have no algae. By the way, we don't use that S word as a verb around here. "Shock" is a generic term for chlorine powders. We use the term SLAM.

For peace of mind, you could take it up to SLAM levels all day and run the overnight loss test. If that passes, you're done with the SLAM in one day. It might waste a couple jugs of bleach, but that's all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!