Hayward AO smith cooling fan melted off the shaft... now what?

CBL

May 24, 2014
MA
First post here so hello! Sorry for the crazy newb questions but here it goes...

Been having some issues with my Hayward SP1580Z2 1hp pump. Last season the motor was making some horrifically loud sounds and stopped pumping water toward the end of the season, I ended up pulling the pool offline and finally getting around to fixing it.

I pulled the wethead off and the plastic threads that hold the impeller on were completely stripped away from the shaft. Thinking this was the problem I was encountering last season I managed to get the impeller off, bought a new one, and rebuilt the wethead with a new seal and gasket kit. Went to start it for the first time and it pumps water fine now but the motor is still loud as **** and gets hot quickly. Thinking now it can be either motor bearings or something related I tore everything back apart and got the armature off the motor this time. The bearings still spin smoothly but the white plastic fan that keeps the motor cool is completely melted away from the shaft. My thinking is when the impeller threads sheared in the wethead it may have caused some excessive load on the motor...

The motor is an AO smith 1HP made in Mexico. I don't mind cleaning it up/rebuilding it if it's worth it... Ive been looking on ebay and can find a full replacement Hayward pump for $160 shipped...

Question are... A) is it even worth rebuilding? B) I found the bearing kit, can I find a replacement fan?

IMG_0260.JPGIMG_0256.JPG

Welcome to tfp!

New bearings could be pressed in, you could call the folks at century ( used to be ao smith ) they would be the authority on the fan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.