Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Horseshoe Pipe Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Horseshoe Pipe Repair

My pool building has used a horseshoe arrangements of pipes, that includes 4 90-degree elbows, to replace a leaking pipe to my waterfall. Is this the best solution for me? It would seem to make my pump work harder, but the builder says that this is the strongest solution.

024 (640x360).jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Horseshoe Pipe Repair

Why didnt they just replace a straight piece of broken pipe with a new straight piece of pipe? That solution seems unprofessional and obnoxiously unessesary imo
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3

It looks to me like the repairman didn't want to dig far enough to line up the pipes, so created an offset for alignment. Needs to be fixed properly.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Horseshoe Pipe Repair

Since we can't see where the pipe leads further left or right it's possible the last pipe broke from being over stressed in it's misalignment. This may be a perfectly acceptable solution considering we don't know the conditions further out.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the leak was at the old 45 degree fitting, there is no easy way to fix it cleanly. You have to cut one pipe back, and then a new 45 won't line up with the other pipe. The existing repair is what follows from someone with less experience dealing with that issue.

The correct way to fix it is by cutting both pipes back further (instead of just one) and using two slip fittings to get the new 45 in the same place as the old. Doing that requires some more digging, rather exact measurements/cutting, three or four hands, and will be tricky to get installed without any flex to get things into place, but will make a better repair.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Depending on the location, that may not have been so easy to make that repair with one 45. Having had to dig to allow enough "flex" to make the joint may have been impossible if he was within 3-4 feet of any concrete that he couldn't get under.....been there done that.

Honestly, he may have done the best he could. Importantly, that horseshoe will have little (and I mean little) affect on the efficiency of your system.

If it is not leaking, I'd give it a thumbs up and cover it up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 on what Dave said. Not very easy to repair pipes buried in the ground. The 4-90's is an acceptable method of doing so and you will never notice the head loss.
    17 x 35 fiberglass IG pool, 1.5 hp Pentair Superflo 2 speed pump, 150 ft2 Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter, Compupool SWG, Dirt Devil Electric Robotic Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

My big question is what budget didnyou give him for the repair. Ant expense or as cheap as possible. As others said if it ain't leaking be happy. The restrictions that the repair is putting into the mix isn't that big of a deal.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

One way to reduce head loss in a situation where the (4) 90s method is used is to go up one size. For example, if the pipe is 1.5", use (4) 2" 90s instead.

In any case, the current fix should be strong, and not too restrictive.