what is what

I am a new home owner of a home with a 25,000 gal in ground vinyl lined pool. I am lost. I have heard and read too many contradicting things and I feel like I am getting no where. It is chlorine but I recently got a salt cell installed (not running yet because there is no power to it) the issue I think is causing it to still not be clear is maybe my ?? valves are not In the correct position. If anyone can take a look at the set up and give me some advice or info I would greatly appreciate it.

ok here are some pics. Hopefully I am posting these right. Also the levels I am not sure of. I take the water to Leslies pools and they just tell me if and what is off and how to fix it. Thank You for your help :)
pool pump 1.jpg
pool pump 3.jpg
pool pump 4.jpg
pool pump 5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

also some of the handles are broken off as pictured so kinda a mess :(

Hey there! Welcome to the forum! I'm in Va Beach too.

Test results are very important. If you just let the pool store test and tell you what to get it's going to get very very expensive and there's a good chance it won't look very nice either. (Their testing tends to be pretty inaccurate and they *are* in business to sell you stuff...) It's best to do your own testing. There's a couple of kits that we recommend that will test for everything you need. It's not hard and there are a lot of people here that will help every step of the way.

It's all about knowing what's going on in your pool and taking control of it for yourself. We can help you do it!

i dont have the test results because the local pool place does free testing so I just take it there and they tell me what I need. Do the valves to the main drain and strainers look like they are in the correct positions? How can I tell if everything is filtering and doing what it is supposed to be doing? Also with the salt system "installed" but no power to it.. Do you guys think it is ok to continue acting as if it were not there until I can get an electrician out to hook up the power?

Hey!! Thank You!! That does make sense and I am realizing that is true with every dollar and frustrating morning I look out the window in hopes it is clear. I actually have a test kit from previous owner, but I need more solutions so I will go out later and purchase them. The water is slowly clearing up but it is kinda a cloudy greenish blue, darker in deep end. I will try to post a pic. I am just so frusterated with the actual set up and plumming... It doesnt make sense to me as far as what is what and what way the valves need to be since the handles are broken and labels worn off. I dont know if my pump/filter is even doing what it should be because I hear so many different things.

I can't help on the valves since I don't have experience there. (Small above ground pool here) You can just use regular liquid chlorine until your salt system is installed.

Be careful on trusting pool store free testing. "You get what you pay for." I hope it will work out for you. Getting the filtration working properly is important. Hopefully someone here will be able to help with that soon. But just FYI, cloudy water is generally a sign of algae starting to grow. At the least, you should be able to get a print out of some sort of the results from the store.

Now I'll wait for the plumbing experts to show! lol :)

Before you go and buy anything for your kit, let me give you a link of the kits we recommend. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

This shows the kits and gives an idea of what you get for the $

For the "Trouble Free Pool" method it's very important for you to have the correct type of kit. 2 things you have to make sure you can test are CYA (it is a chlorine stabilizer and you must know how much you have) and a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

If you have a basic kit it can be a good start, but to really take control and get everything right you'll need to have the best kit! We can help you get that water sparkling clear. It can be a little overwhelming to take in everything at first but if you have any questions at all just post them and someone will help.

On the top right of the page there is a link for "pool school". Try going to that, click on "getting started" and read "ABCs of pool water chemistry". Like I said, at first it's :shock: but after you read a few times...you're not going to believe how simple it really is.

Oh, since you're in Va Beach I'll give you a heads up, I haven't found anyone here that carries the "right" kits. I did manage to get refills for my chlorine test from a local place once (can't remember the name but it's on the corner of Dam Neck and Holland) but they didn't have the actual kit. Best bet is to just order one.

Everyone here will recommend the TF-100 kit from tftestkits.net because although it costs a little more, it comes with more of the testing reagents. A better balance of the things you'll actually use often. They're located in North Carolina so the shipping is really quick for us. :)

*don't worry!*
soon :shock: will turn to :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.....

In a nutshell, get the TF-100 with the speed stir... Cheaper than the "first round" of chemicals the pool store will sell you.

Take charge of your pool by testing....

As far as the plumbing goes... that is going to be tough for the experts with the size pictures you posted. Maybe try a free hosting site than link them to your post... I actually use a folder in Facebook for misc. pictures.. LOL

I wish I had more to give ya, but "Beens" summed it up pretty good and I too am a small above ground pool owner. Real simple plumbing for me..

Is it possible for you to repost your equipment pictures in a larger size?

You need a good test kit, as Beens has recommended, and you need to repair/replace the broken valve handles. You also need to slam the pool. Start reading up on pool water chemistry, ABCs of pool water chemistry to have a better understanding of how to manage your pool.

*I use photobucket for linking pics here. I upload them from my phone usually (didn't even get the app I just use the mobile site lol) and then use the last link on the photobucket page (IMG link) to post them here individually. That will get nice big photos right in your thread. Ugh. I clicked on my photo bucket page to see which link I use and the pic that greeted me is the black widow I found on the pool the other day. Blech.

*edit* omg I typed "pig" photos instead of "big" photos. Ok, we don't need photos of pigs...

:pig:From the top and bottom pics, I looks like your water level might be below the bottom of the skimmer opening? If it is, you need to get some water in it to get it to mid skimmer. You could mess up a pump like that. I hope my eyes can't see that pic very well. Btw, dropbox link sharing also works very well! Much easier than photobucket in my experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.