Is it really this easy??

Hi everyone!! This is my first post so I will start with a little background information. I have a 24' AG pool with a cartridge filter that I have been a slave to for the past 2 years. The pool store started us with baquacil at installation which we quickly discovered was a huge mistake. Last year we converted to chlorine which was a little better but we still had trouble with algae. Over the winter I found this forum and decided we would give this method a try.

So, 2 weeks ago I stood in the backyard looking at a very green pool a bit skeptical that "some bleach" would clean it up but I started pouring it in anyway. I didn't have a test kit so i was using left over test strips to test the best I could. A week later the water was cleaning up very nicely so I decided I better get serious about it and ordered the TF-100. My kit arrived this morning and I eagerly ran a full test on my almost crystal clear water.

5/23 10am

FC-5.5
CC- 0.5
PH- 6.8
CH- 75
TA- 100
CYA- 35

Then tested the FC/CC again this evening...

8pm
FC- 1.5
CC- 0.5

I started adding borax to bring the PH up after the first test and added enough bleach to bring it back to shock level tonight to try to pass the overnight test. Besides bringing the CYA up some (the pool is in full sun all day) is there anything else I need to do? I think everything else is in range but I feel like I have to be missing something. It can't be this easy!!? Lol

Welcome to TFP!

What FC level are you targeting? I would not raise the CYA until you finish the SLAM. And a good idea to raise the pH.

Sounds like you have a pretty good start to the season.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If you understand the relationship between chlorine and CYA, yes, managing a pool can really be that easy. Let us know the results of the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. That will determine if you need to SLAM the pool. Keep your CYA where it is until the need to SLAM is ruled out.

I targeted 14 tonight but just tested at 17. But from what I understand, with a cya of 35, target Fc would be between 4 and 7. No worries about raising cya right now. I'd have to go to walmart or the pool store and I hate both. I'll wait it out a week or two and depending on how much FC I lose to sun I may not raise it at all.

Welcome to TFP Stacey!

Any pics of your pool since you really don't need much from us pros? I figured we could oogle your pool for a bit! :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and reassurance. It pased the OCLT last night and when was down to 0 CC at this evening's test. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. :) I'm looking forward to actually swimming more than vacuuming this summer!

I do have a question about adding the borax though, I have been putting it in a sock in the skimmer but with the amount I'm having to add it is a process. Would it be ok to dissolve the borax in a bucket and pour it in front of the return or should I stick with the sock even if it will take a few days?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had good success with dissolving borax in a bucket of warm water and pouring it around the perimeter of the pool then brushing for 10-15 minutes. I would do the dose you are looking at (going from PH6.8 to 7.4ish) in two or three steps (10-15 ounces each) over a couple of days. Test after 30 minutes of circulation.

You can just dump it, powder form, in front of the return. You could also do it in a bucket but I just dump it in and brush the pool. :goodjob: All pools need a good brushing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.