Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it really this easy??

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it really this easy??

Hi everyone!! This is my first post so I will start with a little background information. I have a 24' AG pool with a cartridge filter that I have been a slave to for the past 2 years. The pool store started us with baquacil at installation which we quickly discovered was a huge mistake. Last year we converted to chlorine which was a little better but we still had trouble with algae. Over the winter I found this forum and decided we would give this method a try.

So, 2 weeks ago I stood in the backyard looking at a very green pool a bit skeptical that "some bleach" would clean it up but I started pouring it in anyway. I didn't have a test kit so i was using left over test strips to test the best I could. A week later the water was cleaning up very nicely so I decided I better get serious about it and ordered the TF-100. My kit arrived this morning and I eagerly ran a full test on my almost crystal clear water.

5/23 10am

FC-5.5
    CC- 0.5
    PH- 6.8
    CH- 75
    TA- 100
    CYA- 35

Then tested the FC/CC again this evening...

8pm
    FC- 1.5
    CC- 0.5

I started adding borax to bring the PH up after the first test and added enough bleach to bring it back to shock level tonight to try to pass the overnight test. Besides bringing the CYA up some (the pool is in full sun all day) is there anything else I need to do? I think everything else is in range but I feel like I have to be missing something. It can't be this easy!!? Lol

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it really this easy??

Welcome to TFP!

What FC level are you targeting? I would not raise the CYA until you finish the SLAM. And a good idea to raise the pH.

Sounds like you have a pretty good start to the season.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! If you understand the relationship between chlorine and CYA, yes, managing a pool can really be that easy. Let us know the results of the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. That will determine if you need to SLAM the pool. Keep your CYA where it is until the need to SLAM is ruled out.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I targeted 14 tonight but just tested at 17. But from what I understand, with a cya of 35, target Fc would be between 4 and 7. No worries about raising cya right now. I'd have to go to walmart or the pool store and I hate both. I'll wait it out a week or two and depending on how much FC I lose to sun I may not raise it at all.

5. Back To Top    #5

You are certainly way ahead of the game compared to many new members
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP Stacey!

Any pics of your pool since you really don't need much from us pros? I figured we could oogle your pool for a bit!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes it really is that easy. Once you understand a little, it's easy as can be.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Stacey, a pool owner's best friend is Walmart! You can always get fresh bleach, borax, baking soda and cya relatively inexpensively.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes its very easy. Very cost efective. And very enjoyable
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and reassurance. It pased the OCLT last night and when was down to 0 CC at this evening's test. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I'm looking forward to actually swimming more than vacuuming this summer!

I do have a question about adding the borax though, I have been putting it in a sock in the skimmer but with the amount I'm having to add it is a process. Would it be ok to dissolve the borax in a bucket and pour it in front of the return or should I stick with the sock even if it will take a few days?

11. Back To Top    #11

I have had good success with dissolving borax in a bucket of warm water and pouring it around the perimeter of the pool then brushing for 10-15 minutes. I would do the dose you are looking at (going from PH6.8 to 7.4ish) in two or three steps (10-15 ounces each) over a couple of days. Test after 30 minutes of circulation.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

12. Back To Top    #12

You can just dump it, powder form, in front of the return. You could also do it in a bucket but I just dump it in and brush the pool. All pools need a good brushing.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter