Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Safety

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Safety

Recently the local (and some national) news has been reporting in injuries and deaths from malfunctioning pool lights. While I believe properly installed pool lights are likely safer than driving to the store to get bread, I thought I would ask the experts. What type of regular checks should be done on a pool light and how can we ensure a reasonable level of safety? (We have 120V lights)
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Light Safety

Your best check is to verify that is on a GFCI and it works properly. The GFCI should have a test button on it. If pressing the test button turns the light off then you should be OK.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of these news reports have moved to the sensationalism level of journalism, so there is a lot of misinformation being put out there by them
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

^^^ what danpik said.
    He knows what he is talking about when it comes to electricity !!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is it truly a 120v light or does it go thru a transformer to low voltage? Some people think they have a 120V light but don't realize that it goes thru a transformer and they actually have low voltage inside the pool thus the light is actually 12, 13, or 14V.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Valid question, and one I don't 100% no the answer to. I assume 120 because I didn't see anything that looked like a transformer. Where would a transformer typically be placed?
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

In between the plug to the socket and the light. Maybe a big clunky looking box.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

It depends on the the system you have. Some are internal where the timer clock is and some are in external boxes. It just depends on your setup.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup, it can go eithere way. you will need tofigure that out.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi;

I have an older Pentair pool light that has a transformer that steps it down to 12V (DC I assume) according to the specs. but there is no GFCI installed. Where should that be installed. At the on-off switch?
    Thanks for any help.

Gary R.
    18 X 32 Oval Inground Gunite Pool 20,000 Gallons Epoxy Painted in 2012
    Tagelus Sand Filter TA 60 D/TA 60-Hayward Super Pumps 1 H.P.
    Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU, KLeen Machine Pool Cleaner
    Solar Cover-Rocky's Pool Cover Reel-Intermatic T104R Timer
    TF-100 Test Kit-PoolSkim Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

Gary,
    is there a GFCI anywere around your equipment? Perhaps on an outdoor outlet? Many time,s the electrician will wire all of the 120 v appliances on a circuit with 1 GFCI outlet in that circuit. All of hte appliances on that circuit will then be protected by that GFCI outlet. Not necessarily will every single thing have its own GFCI. My house is wired this way and so is my pool.

Perfectly safe and to code, but makes troubleshooting a real pain!
    Divin Dave,

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Divin Dave;

Thanks for the response!

No GFCI that I can find. All the electric was installed in 1960s and wired directly into circuits. We hardly ever use the pool light so probably nothing to worry about. Where should a GFCI be installed?

Thanks,

Gary R.
    18 X 32 Oval Inground Gunite Pool 20,000 Gallons Epoxy Painted in 2012
    Tagelus Sand Filter TA 60 D/TA 60-Hayward Super Pumps 1 H.P.
    Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU, KLeen Machine Pool Cleaner
    Solar Cover-Rocky's Pool Cover Reel-Intermatic T104R Timer
    TF-100 Test Kit-PoolSkim Skimmer