May 27, 2013
Marietta, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Greetings, all!

Since converting to BBB last year, our pool is cleaner and nicer that it's ever been. I've converted a couple of friends, too! (Still working on the bro, though).

I have a question about chlorine use. We are in North Georgia. The pool gets full sun from about 10am until 8pm. The water temp today was 74.
(Too cool for me but the grandkids would swim if there were icebergs in the water!)

I am averaging between 2 to 3 pints of 8.25% bleach a day, depending on use and sunlight. It was the same last summer, too. The CYA is 40 (tested on pool closing last year, opening this year and last week). My CC level is always .5 or less every day. Just for kicks, I did the .2 test this evening and it took one drop to make the test crystal clear. I'm not losing chlorine overnight, so, I know there are no biologics eating up the chlorine.

Here's my question...would boosting the CYA to 50 reduce chlorine burn off, or would I still be using the same amount of bleach for the same result because of the increased CYA level?

Here were this evening's test results.

FC=3.5 (This was before adding today's bleach to bring it to 7.)
CC<0.2
pH=7.6
CYA=40
TA=90
CH=30

As always, thanks for everyone's advice.

I don't think you'll see much difference.

You'll have to add a little more bleach to work sided by side with the CYA. Do you have a cover? You can use that to keep the chlorine burning off so fast during the day. How may kids raise their hand to peeing in the pool? I bet the FC is being consumed there too. :lol: 3 pints though... I don't think that's too bad. :mrgreen: I'd cover the pool and get that temp up some! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.