Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA testing

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA testing

I just received some new R0013 and some 50 ppm standard solution. I guess my eyes must be too good because I tried it out twice and got 35 and 40 ppm. I was even stopping while I felt that I could still see the dot. If I am getting these results for the standard solution then should I assume that my CYA is 10-15 ppm higher than I had previously thought?
    12,500 gallons, cartridge filter, in ground, pebble

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA testing

How are you doing the test? Try to find light that produces the correct 50ppm for the standard.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I worry about this too, that different light brightness is affecting my reading. I don't have the standard 50ppm solution to compare my lighting with.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest taking a gander at these Extended Test Kit Directions. The CYA test is covered in post #8. The lighting is indeed critical to this test.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good suggestion Bo, +1
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Right. I have done it exactly as instructed. I've even taken it around in different types of light. Indoors certainly gives a different view than outside with your back to the sun, but even then I get low readings. I even asked my son to take a look. Obviously it is the most difficult test, but it is also an important one.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just an update on this, as I have not been checking for a while. I am obviously a novice at this but I found that the right light is definitely key. I needed bright, clear, midday sun to get a decent reading. Clouds or afternoon sun were no good. Even in the right conditions I felt like I could faintly see the black dot through the test solution at the 50ppm fill line. However, now that I have that as a frame of reference to compare to I feel like I know what my CYA is.

8. Back To Top    #8

I actually found that when I was doing it, what I thought was the black dot, was actually the reflection of my head in the liquid! lol.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

9. Back To Top    #9

For any experts reading this thread - what is the margin of error for this test? Given Chaddy's experience it would be about 15 ppm at the 50pm level. At higher levls, like in the 70s, then the margin must be even higher since a 10-15ppm error in the 50s equates to more like a 20-30ppm error given the nonlinearity in the test cylinder - see the photo below for the scale.

Is there no way to come up with a better test?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

10. Back To Top    #10

You can get the larger test kit from TFTestkits.net that will allow for smaller error based on larger tube and amount of reagents.

This video may help with your test method:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxaq...9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Looking at that test tube it doesn't seem like there is a huge difference from the Taylor - there still is just a couple of mm between 60 and 70 which is the relevant range when you have a SWCG. The one you are talking about is in the photo below, correct?

Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

12. Back To Top    #12

The one I use is not like any of those. I'm on a conference call at the moment, but once I am off this call I will get a picture of the difference. I think I still have my small tube also. My mix bottle is double that size too.

CORRECTION: When I looked at the picture, I thought you had the small tube like on the left in my picture, but you already have the large one.

Ignore my creative smudging, I am a stickler for privacy and wasn't sure what might show up in my background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the larger tube with the black lines from the TF-100. What I do is run the test normally, pouring back and forth a few times to measure in the 70-80ppm range. Then I dump half the solution and add back in tap water and repeat the test and confirm that I read in the 35-40ppm range.

Last weekend I tested a little low it seemed around 60ppm, diluted and got about 30ppm ... so that seemed to validate the first reading.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!