In a matter of three weeks I went from CYA of 45 to 20

Sep 11, 2013
DFW Metroplex
In a matter of three weeks I went from CYA of 45 to 20, even at 20 I am able to see faded black dot not completely disappear like it use to.

I don't see any extra chlorine demand, I add around 40 to 50 oz of 8.25% bleach every 24 hours. Can I use pucks to increase CYA to 50? is CYA testing agents from TF 100 may be old(Aug 2013)?

You can use pucks to add CYA to your pool but you will have to watch how they affect other parameters of your water like the pH and the TA.

If you kept your test kit in a dry dark place over the winter, your reagents should be fine. :goodjob:

+1 to what Casey said.

If your reagents are kept in a dark, climate controlled location such as an indoor cabinet that is not directly over a stove, your reagents should be good for at least two years.

Rain? We got at least a few good showers here in 2 weeks and I dropped from 40ppm CYA down to 35ppm CYA. Have you back washed due to an algae clean up/SLAM? That could acct for the drop.

+1 to what Casey said.

If your reagents are kept in a dark, climate controlled location such as an indoor cabinet that is not directly over a stove, your reagents should be good for at least two years.

Oh! Yes, I backwashed and installed new DE filter Grids last Tuesday:p, but for that whole fiasco I might have lost close to 2" of water not more than that, just dropped 16 Oz of Cynauric acid crystals in skimmer (tied inside a socks), I will slowly raise it all the way back to 40.

Did you do the cya test multiple times ? Its kinda tricky ... I don't like it !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I tested 3 times in 5 days, same reading even at full glass I am able to view the black dot, took my water sample to Leslies they reported zero cynauric acid and try to sell me that expensive instant conditioner, I picked up 4 lbs of 99% Kem-Tek brand at my Lowes for $16. I am good to go. My plan is raise it to 20 to 25 ppm get a reading with my TF100 and then target 40ppm. I am not in a hurry, one thing surprises me is every 24 hours I add 40 to 50 oz of 8.25% bleach, never once my FC dropped below 4 ppm, is it technically possible to get this reading with zero CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

You're not wearing polarized sun glasses while testing are you? Those sunglasses that cut glare can also affect the test I think.

No, tested with naked eyes:p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.