Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In a matter of three weeks I went from CYA of 45 to 20

1. Back To Top    #1

In a matter of three weeks I went from CYA of 45 to 20

In a matter of three weeks I went from CYA of 45 to 20, even at 20 I am able to see faded black dot not completely disappear like it use to.

I don't see any extra chlorine demand, I add around 40 to 50 oz of 8.25% bleach every 24 hours. Can I use pucks to increase CYA to 50? is CYA testing agents from TF 100 may be old(Aug 2013)?
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In a matter of three weeks I went from CYA of 45 to 20

You can use pucks to add CYA to your pool but you will have to watch how they affect other parameters of your water like the pH and the TA.

If you kept your test kit in a dry dark place over the winter, your reagents should be fine.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to what Casey said.

If your reagents are kept in a dark, climate controlled location such as an indoor cabinet that is not directly over a stove, your reagents should be good for at least two years.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks you all, kind of curious what triggered my CYA reduction, no i didn't even do partial drain and refill.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

5. Back To Top    #5

Rain? We got at least a few good showers here in 2 weeks and I dropped from 40ppm CYA down to 35ppm CYA. Have you back washed due to an algae clean up/SLAM? That could acct for the drop.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you do the cya test multiple times ? Its kinda tricky ... I don't like it !!!

Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

7. Back To Top    #7

You're not wearing polarized sun glasses while testing are you? Those sunglasses that cut glare can also affect the test I think.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    +1 to what Casey said.

If your reagents are kept in a dark, climate controlled location such as an indoor cabinet that is not directly over a stove, your reagents should be good for at least two years.
    Oh! Yes, I backwashed and installed new DE filter Grids last Tuesday, but for that whole fiasco I might have lost close to 2" of water not more than that, just dropped 16 Oz of Cynauric acid crystals in skimmer (tied inside a socks), I will slowly raise it all the way back to 40.
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Seanhan View Post
    Did you do the cya test multiple times ? Its kinda tricky ... I don't like it !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes I tested 3 times in 5 days, same reading even at full glass I am able to view the black dot, took my water sample to Leslies they reported zero cynauric acid and try to sell me that expensive instant conditioner, I picked up 4 lbs of 99% Kem-Tek brand at my Lowes for $16. I am good to go. My plan is raise it to 20 to 25 ppm get a reading with my TF100 and then target 40ppm. I am not in a hurry, one thing surprises me is every 24 hours I add 40 to 50 oz of 8.25% bleach, never once my FC dropped below 4 ppm, is it technically possible to get this reading with zero CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    You're not wearing polarized sun glasses while testing are you? Those sunglasses that cut glare can also affect the test I think.
    No, tested with naked eyes
    DE Filter Model # DE6020