Need help deciding on all new equipment!

May 13, 2014
San Diego, CA
Hello again everyone...

I've been trying to do some research regarding pumps and filters, and to be quite frank... I'm confused... I don't understand the relationship to head pressure and PSI and GPM or anything else for that matter.

Basically what I am planning to do is replace all of my equipment around January next year, and I'm trying to get a leg up on all the information ahead of time. My current setup is basically a single speed pump which I can't read anything on, and a DE filter that has some surface cracks around the lid, and is approx. ~30'ish years old. I have a single Main drain that is piped into my single skimmer, and I have two returns that I would guess are around 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter (I can plug it with a finger). My pool is around 10,000 gallons, and freeform in shape.
Here is a pic of my current pool equipment. I would say the equipment is about 15 feet away from the return lines, and 20 feet from the skimmer.

equipment.jpg

My wife wants to get a Variable speed pump, and there probably isn't any talking her out of it... so I'm prepared to drop some cash... but we also are wanting to switch to a Salt water system. So, I have cleaned our DE filter several times, and understand how it works, but I'm open to trying cartridge if that will work better and won't be much more expensive than DE to maintain.

If there are any setups that you guys could recommend, I plan on installing all of it at once to keep installation costs at a minimum. I have no features or other requirements.

I am like you saving some $$$ for VS pump, according to this calculation I would be saving about 95% from my current energy cost, very tempting, still on the fence to go with Pentair Intelliflow or Hayward EcoStar

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/energysolutions/calculator/?pr=1

I know lot of people like cartridge filter but from this forum I learnt that DE has superior filtration capabilities, yes I hear handling DE after backwashing is pain in the back and I always wear surgical mask.

I know my wife has done some research as well and has determined that she wants the intelliflo from pentair... I'm just curious as to what else I need to do considering filters and SWG setups... Are there all in one units that can control the whole setup?

I have the Hayward EcoStar and was the best investment I have ever made for the pool. My electric bill dropped by at least 65% and also my filter work better as I am filtering at a slower rate. But also the best investment because I scored it brand new for $300!!!

Typically you will want a pump that can turn your pool over in an 8 hr. time period, with this being said you would require a pump that would only need to output about 30 Gallons per minute (GPM). You would then want pair your pump up with a filter which could handle the GPM output of the pump, for example if you had a pump which was outputting 100 GPM's you would not want to pair this pump with a filter which could only handle 50 GPM's as this will put a lot of stress on the pump motor causing it to fail quicker as well as putting a lot of extra stress on the internal components of the filter.

On your set up if you don't have a spa, solar or any fancy water features then you could get by with an Uprated 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump which would be outputting roughly 50 GPM's you could actually go down to the 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump which would output about 40 GPM however this pump can only be wired 115V and the 3/4 HP version can be wired 115 or 230V.

I think for your pool a variable speed pump may be overkill as the smallest variable speed pumps are 1.5 HP and you really wouldnt need to use any of the speeds above 3/4 HP thus only using about half of it's potential. With this being said I would suggest a 1 HP dual speed pump (70 GPM on High Speed) this allows you to run the pump at the high speed 1 HP (3450 RPM's) and then a low speed of around .2 HP (1725 RPM's). The energy savings comes into play when you run the pump at the low speed as the high speed draws 6 amps and the low speed only draws 1 amp! So even by running the pump longer at the low speed you would see significant savings.

With all of this being said, if this was my pool I would get the following:

1 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump SP2607x102S
Hayward DE4820 DE Filter (can handle 96 GPM)
Hayward SP0710XR50 Backwash Valve
Intermatic Dual speed timer to switch from Hi to low speeds T106R

As far as the salt system goes I like the Hayward AquaRite AQRITE15

I hope this wasn't too confusing, if you have any questions please post. Thanks!

I feel that what we will probably want to do is run the pump continuously on a slower speed to get around 2-3 turnovers in a days time. With that, I feel the 2 speed pump can't pump at such a low RPM to accomplish that, and I will need to bump the speed to run our Hayward Pool Vac XL so having a bit extra to run that will be good.

Thanks for the input on the feedback.

I have a Pentair VS ... the thing rocks, but Im sure other makers VS pumps rock too.
All of the major manufacturers make good products, so the choice is strickly gonna me a personal one for whatever reason.
If you are considering automation either now or sometime down the road, then make all of your equipment the same manufacturer for compatibility reasons.

Re the DE vs Cartridge vs Sand filter. They all work very very well. Most people would not know what filter is used just by looking at the water.
- Sand filters removes particles down to about 30 microns I think . Crystal clear water but takes a little longer to get it that way Google for verification of the microns
- Cartridge to about 7 even clearer crystal clear water
- DE to about 3 or 4. even another more crystal clear water. Again, google to make sure. Im getting old and memory ain't what it used to be! haha!

Fact is, they all filter water extremely well and I have doubts that you would not be disappointed with the filter capability of any of them.

I have a cartridge filter and with my pump off, on a calm night with the pool light on, you would swear the pool is empty. Its that clear.

If you ever have an algae outbreak, Sand is going to be the easiest to clean the algae from . Backwash and perhaps deep clean
Cartridge - clogs quick with algae. Have to pull out cartridges and hose off
DE - Can backwash but due to the fine filtering capability, will clog up very very quickly and you will have to remove the grids to clean the algae off of them and then replenish the DE.

Another consideration - Some municiplaities no longer allow backwashing onto the ground per building code. Backwash pipe will have to be routed to a an approved drainige. Depending where and what an approved drainage is - could get expensive. This leaves a lot of folks with the only viable option of a cartridge filter. Thats the case where i live. No pool builder around here will even offer a DE or Sand on a new pool anymore.

I feel that what we will probably want to do is run the pump continuously on a slower speed to get around 2-3 turnovers in a days time. With that, I feel the 2 speed pump can't pump at such a low RPM to accomplish that, and I will need to bump the speed to run our Hayward Pool Vac XL so having a bit extra to run that will be good.

Thanks for the input on the feedback.

Okay, after a bit of looking around, talking to my wife, and some wild ideas... here is what I have come up with as what I am thinking about getting. If there is anything you would change, please let me know.

Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, 230-Volt, 16-Ampere

Pentair CCP320 Clean and Clear Plus Pool and Spa Cartridge Filter, 120-GPM

Intellichlor IC40 Chlorine Generator 40,000 Gallons

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thats the same stuff I have, except my filter is a bit bigger.
If you can swing the upgrade, go for the 420. It will greatly increase the amount of time between cleaning it.

The intelliflo ROCKS. Thats all there is to it. You will love the thing. Its very very versatile and has lots of cool features as well as energy efficient!
Do NOT wire the Intelliflo to an external timer. The timer will turn off any run programs of the intelliflo. The intelliflo has it own timers built in.
DO wire the SWG thorugh its own timer so it doesnt stay lit up when it isnt needed.

Other than that, it looks great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.