Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical Storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Davenport, FL

Chemical Storage

Given that some chemicals (especially bleach) tend to deteriorate over time, where is the best place to store my chemicals?

My two options are:

1. Outside, near the pool in a small plastic "rubbermaid"-type shed. I don't know how light-tight the shed is, and the doors don't always stay closed tightly.

2. In the garage, which is attached to the house. It stays reasonably warm in the winter (due to the water heater, which is also in the garage), and doesn't get TOO terribly warm in the summer (concrete block walls + a room above the garage). When the door is closed, it is fairly dark, although there are times (mowing the lawn, washing cars, etc) where the garage door will stay open for several hours.
    Central Florida | 7500 gal | Inground | 1HP Motor | 75 SqFt Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Chemical Storage

I keep most things out by the pool in a small shed, but bleach stays in the basement where it is cool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Put the stuff in the shed. The fumes will rust everything in the garage otherwise. As long as you don't stockpile more than a couple weeks' worth of bleach, you'll use it long before it's useless. Muriatic acid doesn't degrade over time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

DFW Metroplex

I hope I am not creating a health hazard for my family , at any point of time I have atleast 5 great value bleach jugs at my laundry room inside my house. Texas heat is brutal.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014