Changed sand...sand in pool

js8390

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2014
Pleasant Prairie, WI
I recently changed the sand in my pools filter. Prior to sand replacement I had no issues. The sand I used is pool filter sand, but it looked like normal sand. The sand I removed was all white in color. I was careful removing sand, and didn't see any damage on the downcomer or laterals. The one thing I didn't do was fill the filter with water before adding sand. I filled the filter with sand about 6-8" below the top of the filter. Put everything together, and rinsed the filter for a minute or so. Discharge looked relatively clean, so I put my multi-port back to filter. Yesterday I noticed some slight sand accumulation in the bottom of the pool (areas of low circulation). I had my robot clean it up, and had assumed it may be residual dust from the new sand. However today it seems just as bad as yesterday. Some sand that got on the steps seems fairly fine in size. When I filled the filter with sand, I did pour it slowly, and made sure it was evenly spread within.

Do you think I damaged something? Is there a 'break in' period? Is not all 'Pool Filter Sand' the same? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for the thread Richard. I read through from post 72, it seems this person had a much more severe problem than I do. I can put my hand in front of a return, and I don't feel any sand. If I take a brush to the accumulated stuff, it disperses into the water like dust, or algae I guess. (It's not algae) I did read some posts online saying that they have experienced the same for a short time after changing out their sand, and it's finer sand, dirt, dust in the sand, and will go away when it finally is rinsed from the filter. Any truth to that?

Thanks for the thread Richard. I read through from post 72, it seems this person had a much more severe problem than I do. I can put my hand in front of a return, and I don't feel any sand. If I take a brush to the accumulated stuff, it disperses into the water like dust, or algae I guess. (It's not algae) I did read some posts online saying that they have experienced the same for a short time after changing out their sand, and it's finer sand, dirt, dust in the sand, and will go away when it finally is rinsed from the filter. Any truth to that?
I don't know. I have a DE filter. If mine leaks, the cloud will be pretty obvious! Makes sense, though.

Put everything together, and rinsed the filter for a minute or so.

Did you backwash the sand or only rinse it? You are supposed to backwash it, then rinse. If the problem persists, check the multiport's spider gasket, the o-ring on the bottom of the multiport, and all internal plumbing below the multiport at or below where the o-ring on the multiport rests on the standpipe (vertical PVC pipe). The culprits are a damaged lateral, unsecured lateral, a lateral not fully into position (if they swivel up), a damaged manifold, a bad gasket, a bad o-ring, or a damaged standpipe. The gasket and o-ring are easier to check, but the laterals are easier to break. Use 100% silicone lube on the o-ring on the bottom of the multiport so it's easier to take on and off.

If none of the sand in the pool is "sand size" and it's just very fine gritty dust, then it could be the issue. Backwash and rinse, then if you stick a pantyhose in front of the return and get sand in it, you still have a problem and will have to check those things mentioned before.

If I take a brush to the accumulated stuff, it disperses into the water like dust, or algae I guess. (It's not algae)
If it disperses into the water like dust, that is a characteristic of dead algae....not sand. What confirms to you it is not dead algae? Did you chlorinate after you changed the sand?

Probably 7 out of 10 reports we get of sand in the pool turn out to be dead algae.

Can you post current test results which would help us a lot? How does your water look?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.