SW Washington
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Let me start by say if my pool wasn't in such an nonflammable state I would light it on fire out of anger :rant:

I have an Intex 15x48 metal frame and decided to upgrade the pump to the Intex 2500. As most of you know the holes in the pool have to be cut to upgrade to the bigger pump. I had done alot of research and all the reviews said it came with all the fittings. Well the pump showed up and I was ready! I had a sharpie, exacto, the pump....I was gonna *do*this*thing*. Imagine my disappointment when I opened the box and there were no plungers, strainers, or any other gadgets to put over the new hole -thank goodness I hadn't started cutting yet. So back on Amazon I went and filed for a return. I bought the same pump from another seller who specifically listed that theirs came with *all* additional accessories to upgrade and even posted a warning to pump buyers that some companies remove these parts and sell separately but they do not. This one also came with reviews stating they did indeed come with these things. I get my new box today....SAME THING! There is literally a pump, filter, and two hoses. Called Intex and they say that is all that is meant to be included. My options now are:
1) Quit being a cheapskate and buy the plunger assembly online for $66 :pale: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Fitting...&qid=1400880048&sr=8-2&keywords=intex+plunger (I think this is everything I would need)

2) Use PVC to make my own little setup since most of the reviewers seem to not like the plunger.

Both leave me with questions. Is a plunger even necessary? Can't I just use the strainer part that goes through the pool and put the hoses directly on that? If I did attempt using PVC do I have to do the whole fancy setup from pool to pump that I have seen in pictures on here or can I get away with just enough to screw my hose onto? Those look far (far) beyond my skill level.

These are probably painfully stupid questions and any assistance would be great. I just want a better pump, is that too much to ask!?!!?
P.S. I am doing this all on my own. ( I.E. very basic DIY'er). The hubs would have a heart attack if he knew I was taking a knife to our pool. I literally hid the exacto in my closet :p

The plunger valves are very handy, but not required. Any time you open up the filter you need to block the water flow somehow. Those valves are a good way to do that. Still, it is possible to block the pipes with things like tennis balls, so you can get by without them. There are far better valves available, but Intex equipment is all non-standard sizes, so using other kinds of valves require several adapters.

I've decided to get rid of the plunger valves and I'm going to a plumbing shop to get all the necessary fittings.... Plumbing shops seem to have a greater range of sizes when it comes to pvc... :) I'm also using 2 inch pvc hoses instead of the crappy plastic ones that intex provides... It will be the cheaper option I believe..... :)

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to give connecting the hoses to the pool without the plunger. When I get the valves that is...
I actually just got an email back from the company I bought the pump from that said that Intex stopped putting the extra parts in about a year ago but they can likely get me the parts for free. I had contacted customer service and I am not ever one to return or complain but they literally changed the wording of their ad sometime between me buying the pump and it showing up today. That *kinda* seems like a jerk move. 'Hey, I know you thought you were buying this pump with everything you needed to hook it up but how about we send you the exact thing that you have sitting in a box already. Enjoy!'

I know all this will be worth it when its 90 and sunny.

We had the intex 14 x 52 ultraframe and upgraded the pump to the intex 2500 I think it was and did not cut holes in the pool. I got the adapters for the hoses on amazon. They worked fine. My pump did come with the plungers and they were handy. I wish I had them on the pool we have now. I use bathtub stoppers. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.