Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What to soak a cartridge in.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    What to soak a cartridge in.

    I was just wondering what you cartridge filter users use to soak them in to clean them? Anything special or just a generic recipe?
    22,000 Gallon inground gunite
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair tr-100 sand filter
    Pentair Minimax NT 400,000 BTU heater
    AquaRite chlorine generator
    AquaPC-On Point chemical controller

  2. Back To Top    #2
    TripleB4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    224

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    I have used Simple Green and it works great and it's not too expensive.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Posts
    108

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    I used dishwasher soap, soaked it 4 hrs, hosed it off and it was good to go.
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

  4. Back To Top    #4
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    You want automatic dishwasher detergent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Va.
    Posts
    76

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    I use automatic dishwasher detergent.
    15x30x54 AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 spd pump, cartridge filter, Royal Entrance steps,Pool Rover Jr

  6. Back To Top    #6
    TripleB4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    224

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    To each their own but Reemay, the maker of the polyester material, recommends rinsing with water only and does not recommend harsh lyes that are in automatic dish washing soap.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

  7. Back To Top    #7
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    I've never "soaked" my cartridge. Hosed it off, back in it went. 7 years, 2 cartridges. Is that wrong? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. I've never had a "green pool". I've had issues, but I don't think they are related to the cartridge, just trichlor use.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  8. Back To Top    #8
    MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I've never "soaked" my cartridge. Hosed it off, back in it went. 7 years, 2 cartridges. Is that wrong? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. I've never had a "green pool". I've had issues, but I don't think they are related to the cartridge, just trichlor use.
    The only problem with using the hose only is that you don't get the oils out of the filter (suntan lotion, etc). The manufacturer of my new cart filter recommmends soaking in a mix of water and a detergent that contains tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), which is commonly found in automatic dishwasher detergent. Here's a thread from days gone by that discusses cleaning carts, why, how, what to use, etc.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  9. Back To Top    #9
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I've never "soaked" my cartridge. Hosed it off, back in it went. 7 years, 2 cartridges. Is that wrong? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. I've never had a "green pool". I've had issues, but I don't think they are related to the cartridge, just trichlor use.
    The only problem with using the hose only is that you don't get the oils out of the filter (suntan lotion, etc). The manufacturer of my new cart filter recommmends soaking in a mix of water and a detergent that contains tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), which is commonly found in automatic dishwasher detergent.
    Yes, I read the instructions when we first got the pool and it did recommend soaking it. But what harm do the oils do to the filter? Does it make it less efficient? Honestly I haven't noticed any issues related to filtration caused by my lack of soaking. I'm not saying it isn't necessary, just wondering if I should consider changing my pool habits...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  10. Back To Top    #10
    MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I've never "soaked" my cartridge. Hosed it off, back in it went. 7 years, 2 cartridges. Is that wrong? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. I've never had a "green pool". I've had issues, but I don't think they are related to the cartridge, just trichlor use.
    The only problem with using the hose only is that you don't get the oils out of the filter (suntan lotion, etc). The manufacturer of my new cart filter recommmends soaking in a mix of water and a detergent that contains tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), which is commonly found in automatic dishwasher detergent.
    Yes, I read the instructions when we first got the pool and it did recommend soaking it. But what harm do the oils do to the filter? Does it make it less efficient? Honestly I haven't noticed any issues related to filtration caused by my lack of soaking. I'm not saying it isn't necessary, just wondering if I should consider changing my pool habits...
    I would think that the oils getting caught in the filter material would make it less efficient, although it would take quite a bit of it for you to actually notice a decrease in pressure. With the oils being organic, I would suppose that might cause a problem once again if in high enough levels, or if left in the filter to decompose over winter. Waterbear suggested doing it in the spring and fall, and absolutely before you acid wash (if needed for scale), so it's not something that needs to be done every time you hose out the debris, it sounds like, but probably does need to be done before you put the filter up for winter, and possibly before you put it back in the spring. Just my .02, of course.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  11. Back To Top    #11
    TripleB4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    224

    Re: What to soak a cartridge in.

    Both Pleatco and Unicel have the pretty much the same cleaning procedure for cart filters. They both say you can use dishwasher detergent, I stand corrected.

    They both suggest that since water alone will not get the lotions, etc. out of the filter you need to use a cleaning solution to remove these or its filtering is greatly reduced.


    http://www.unicelfilters.com/pool_owner ... _users.asp
    http://www.pleatco.com/index-2B.html
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •