What to soak a cartridge in.

I've never "soaked" my cartridge. Hosed it off, back in it went. 7 years, 2 cartridges. Is that wrong? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. I've never had a "green pool". I've had issues, but I don't think they are related to the cartridge, just trichlor use.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I've never "soaked" my cartridge. Hosed it off, back in it went. 7 years, 2 cartridges. Is that wrong? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. I've never had a "green pool". I've had issues, but I don't think they are related to the cartridge, just trichlor use.

The only problem with using the hose only is that you don't get the oils out of the filter (suntan lotion, etc). The manufacturer of my new cart filter recommmends soaking in a mix of water and a detergent that contains tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), which is commonly found in automatic dishwasher detergent. Here's a thread from days gone by that discusses cleaning carts, why, how, what to use, etc.

MikeInTN said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

The only problem with using the hose only is that you don't get the oils out of the filter (suntan lotion, etc). The manufacturer of my new cart filter recommmends soaking in a mix of water and a detergent that contains tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), which is commonly found in automatic dishwasher detergent.

Yes, I read the instructions when we first got the pool and it did recommend soaking it. But what harm do the oils do to the filter? Does it make it less efficient? Honestly I haven't noticed any issues related to filtration caused by my lack of soaking. I'm not saying it isn't necessary, just wondering if I should consider changing my pool habits... :oops:

frustratedpoolmom said:
MikeInTN said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

The only problem with using the hose only is that you don't get the oils out of the filter (suntan lotion, etc). The manufacturer of my new cart filter recommmends soaking in a mix of water and a detergent that contains tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), which is commonly found in automatic dishwasher detergent.

Yes, I read the instructions when we first got the pool and it did recommend soaking it. But what harm do the oils do to the filter? Does it make it less efficient? Honestly I haven't noticed any issues related to filtration caused by my lack of soaking. I'm not saying it isn't necessary, just wondering if I should consider changing my pool habits... :oops:

I would think that the oils getting caught in the filter material would make it less efficient, although it would take quite a bit of it for you to actually notice a decrease in pressure. With the oils being organic, I would suppose that might cause a problem once again if in high enough levels, or if left in the filter to decompose over winter. Waterbear suggested doing it in the spring and fall, and absolutely before you acid wash (if needed for scale), so it's not something that needs to be done every time you hose out the debris, it sounds like, but probably does need to be done before you put the filter up for winter, and possibly before you put it back in the spring. Just my .02, of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.