Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat bending Vs. fittings

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat bending Vs. fittings

I am doing an owner build in AZ and I'm wondering if there is a real advantage to heat bending over fittings? Flow vs. repairability? Anyway, any thoughts would be great thanks.
    34x18' 18,000 gal in ground pebble, Pentair 3H VS pump, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, IC40 SWG, Easytouch 8 w/ screenlogic 2.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heat bending Vs. fittings

I don't think I have ever seen a heat bent installation here on the forum. Very little advantage I can think of......the resistance of the fittings is minor.

Let us know if you bend them and post a pic....would be very interesting to see.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It takes a fair bit of skill to be able to make good bends that fit in with what you want in a reasonable amount of time. If you plumb a spa every day, it is worth spending the time to learn to do well, and otherwise isn't really worth the effort.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 on what Dave and Jason said.

I heat bent two 10' lengths of 1-1/2" PVC for around my pool. It can be done, but in your case, it wouldn't be worth the time it takes. Fittings are cheap in both monetary and flow terms.

- - - Updated - - -

I think all three of us forgot something.......

Welcome to TFP!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not bending myself, I have two bids. One heat bends and one doesn't. The difference is a few hundred dollars and I'm trying to figure out the advantage of either. One plumber says flow, the other says repair ability.
    34x18' 18,000 gal in ground pebble, Pentair 3H VS pump, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, IC40 SWG, Easytouch 8 w/ screenlogic 2.

6. Back To Top    #6

For a new pool install, go with the fittings guy. If there are any problems, you would most likely have to change it over to fittings anyway for any repair work.

Be sure to take lots of pics of the plumbing as it goes in, with landmarks in the pics for location purposes should there be any problems. You could also have the plumber put in a "locator wire" along with the pipes for long runs away from the pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    For a new pool install, go with the fittings guy. If there are any problems, you would most likely have to change it over to fittings anyway for any repair work.

Be sure to take lots of pics of the plumbing as it goes in, with landmarks in the pics for location purposes should there be any problems. You could also have the plumber put in a "locator wire" along with the pipes for long runs away from the pool.
    When we installed a long water line at a scout camp, we tossed all the empty beer cans in the trench to aid finding it in the future!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    When we installed a long water line at a scout camp, we tossed all the empty beer cans in the trench to aid finding it in the future!
    But that would not give a good locator signal.......

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    But that would not give a good locator signal.......
    But it would show up on a metal detector. The PVD pipe wouldn't.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm a home brewer so all my beer ends up in 5 gallon kegs. I will ask for the "locator wire" and a room for the "laser" ....Thanks for the help, I'm just getting started.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Every glue fitting is a possible leak. Every heat bend isn't. A 2" 90 is the same as adding 8' of pipe to a run if my memory serves me correctly. In the middle of a build right now and heat bent every turn on the ends and even bent the pipes to come up out of the ground at the pad. Personally I would hire the bend guy over the fitting guy. Just my opinion
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    A 2" 90 is the same as adding 8' of pipe to a run if my memory serves me correctly.
    According to Vinidex, the largest PVC pipe manufacturer in Australia, a 50mm, class 12 (2", actual bore of a class 12 pipe is 53.7mm), 90 degree bend is equivalent to a 2.81m (9.2') section of pipe at a flow rate of 1m/s (3.28 f/s)
    As a comparison, 2 x 45 degree bends together are equivalent to 1.79m (5.87') and if you were seperate those two 45 degree bends by at least 4 times the diameter of the pipe (so in this case 200mm or 8"), that drops to only 0.895m (2.93')

A long radius, 90 degree bend (where the ratio of bend radius to pipe diameter is greater than 2) is equivalent to a 1.28m (4.2') section.

13. Back To Top    #13

Replacing all of your 90s with sweep 90s improves overall efficiency by about 1%, maybe a little more. It does help, but it isn't particularly significant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

For me the efficiency is nothing. Eliminating a glue joint or two is the perk. Every joint you eliminate is a future possible leak deleted. A bell ended pipe joint glued correctly gives you an almost 3" glue joint versus an 1 1/4" joint at a fitting.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics