I'm getting a steady NO FLOW light

May 23, 2014
Florida
I bought a home 2 years ago with Aqua Rite SWG and Pentair pump system. I first added salt and everything worked fine for one pool season.

In the beginning of this year the problems started. First, the T-cell failed and I replaced it. Then pump motor failed and I replaced it. Then I removed and plugged the leaking solar panel pipes.

Now, I'm getting a steady NO FLOW light, although everything looks and works normally. The only thin I don't have is the actual pool vac. Because I have the screen, there is nothing really getting in the pool and I clean the filter regularly.

I have 2 questions:
1. How to make sure that I have adequate flow. I have no bubbles in the pull and all valves (although pipes are unmarked) are open.
2. The flow switch looks normal, without any nicks although there is a lightly burned discoloration on the grey cable at one spot. Should I just pull out the switch and test it manually.
How do I run the pump with switch out? Just plug the hole? If the switch is not working, should I try to replace the cord or just go ahead and buy a new switch?

Any ideas?

Re: No Flow ???

I'd start by trouble shooting the switch. Assuming you have pressure at your filter and don't have a clogged line, I would make sure the switch works. Others have jumped the wires to complete the circuit but I'm not sure how they did it. I would probably take the switch out and plug the hole and close the circuit manually. If that works then the switch isn't your problem and I'd work back to the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Another potential cause is a two speed or variable speed pump that isn't supplying the needed flow rate. Consider that first unless you have a single speed pump. If the pump isn't running fast enough, the flow rate may be too low for the SWG to work.

Re: No Flow ???

I'd start by trouble shooting the switch. Assuming you have pressure at your filter and don't have a clogged line, I would make sure the switch works. Others have jumped the wires to complete the circuit but I'm not sure how they did it. I would probably take the switch out and plug the hole and close the circuit manually. If that works then the switch isn't your problem and I'd work back to the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Another potential cause is a two speed or variable speed pump that isn't supplying the needed flow rate. Consider that first unless you have a single speed pump. If the pump isn't running fast enough, the flow rate may be too low for the SWG to work.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to do that.

I also have the elbows and valves remaining from solar water heater. The water flow from the pump and filter seems to go up through this connection before going down to the switch and SGW cell. Could this affect the overall flow through the switch?

Update: I checked the flow switch and it doesn't work. The flow seems to be sufficient though. My plug popped out right after I turned the system on creating 3-4ft fountain. I had to ask someone to hold it in place while I activate the switch.

No flow signal is steady, no blinking and it doesn't turn off when I turn off the SWG system, only when I totally shut off the pump. It used to come back and now it doesn't ho matter what i try. I will be ordering a new switch hoping it will be a quick fix. Any other ideas?

A friend of mine had a similar problem. So he cut the wire about 4 inches from the SWG and tied the two wires together. Shorting it, essentially. He could have just sacrificed an old telephone cable...

The message disappeared. He figured it was the switch. Well, yes and no. It turns out he had the flow arrow pointing in the wrong direction. It all worked fine after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.