Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: foam board under pool

1. Back To Top    #1

foam board under pool

First, thanks for all the info I have found on this site. My question, can I stack 1 inch thick foam boards under a 16x48 intex to get 2 inch of foam? I cant find 2 inch thick in my area, and I really want to do the foam base. Thanks for any help
    Intex 16x48.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: foam board under pool

Welcome to TFP!

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, provided you securely tape all seam on both layers. It would also be a good idea to offset the seams so layer 1 seams don't line up with layer 2.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

That will work just fine. However, there is not normally any reason to go to 2". 1" of foam is generally plenty.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

That will work just fine. However, there is not normally any reason to go to 2". 1" of foam is generally plenty.
    Agreed. Why are you looking to do 2"?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I had seen on a thread on here of laying the foam down and then cutting the holes to lay the pavers into and it was all level that way, as long as the ground beneath was level, which by the way it was. thanks for the idea of offsetting the seams. I have no clue about the pool description under my post. I am in tennessee
    Intex 16x48.

6. Back To Top    #6

I removed the mistaken signature. It would be good if you could put some details of your pool into your signature when you have a chance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School