Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner and Well Fill - PICS

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner and Well Fill - PICS

Got our new liner installed this week.. Love it! I was a little apprehensive on filling the water from our well, but I am 3/4 of the way there (12 hours at a time) and so far so good. Notice the stained steps.. I figured I had some metal issues, but I had the water tested today at PS and no metals found (TFT kit on the way).. I find that hard to believe there is no metal given the steps and well water.

I was able to clean up the step stains using pressure washer and softscrub. Here are the current numbers:

TDS: 200
    CYA: 20
    TC: .5
    FC: 0
    pH: 8.1
    TA: 155
    TH: 190
    Iron: 0
    Manganese: 0

Thoughts?

My first idea was to get more chlorine added and add a bit more CYA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Liner and Well Fill - PICS

How exciting! A clean slate!

Some of that crud could just be sediment from overtaxing the well. But if it is iron, prepare for the pool to look green or possibly go rusty when you add chlorine. Some of it can be filtered out. Check this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-on-fill-water
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thx! Nice to start fresh. PB left me about half dozen of those little 1lb "shock" bags. Should I even bother using those up or go right to bleach?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant View Post
    Thx! Nice to start fresh. PB left me about half dozen of those little 1lb "shock" bags. Should I even bother using those up or go right to bleach?
    That depends on which one of three possibilities the "shock" is, and can you use the side effects?

If you go to poolmath and plug in your pool's volume and then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, it will tell you what each chemical will do to your chemistry. So if your pH is on the high side, dichlor or trichlor would be great. Add some CYA almost instantly, chlorinate, and add acid in one shot. If CH is low and you have Cal-hypo "shock", it's also win-win. But if you don't need the side effects, don't use it.

We're not opposed to using any form of chlorine here, as long as the side effects are beneficial.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks.. my pH is a bit high.. so I will give the 1lb bags a shot. Once they are used I will switch to bleach.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.. my pH is a bit high.. so I will give the 1lb bags a shot. Once they are used I will switch to bleach.
    Just keep track of what you added so you can allow for that when calculating the CYA dose. It will be too low to read on the tester.

7. Back To Top    #7

So I added 1lb of the powder shock. It's 63.05% Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione. Half the pool immediately turned green.

8. Back To Top    #8

So I added 1lb of the powder shock. It's 63.05% Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione. Half the pool immediately turned green.
    At least you were warned. Imagine how bad you'd freak if it just happened without warning!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to get that pH down. You can fix the green with a sequesterant.

I really like that dark blue liner. I usually stick with lighter colors but I'd like to see an update on this when it's all clear and ready to swim!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Heh.. yeah PS was full of it! Typical. I a bit surprised the pool turned so quickly considering the PB put a sequestering agent in when we started the fill. I emailed him to see how much he added.

So my plan now is to use MA to get the pH down a bit and then add more sequestering agent to clear it up. I also plan to get a slime bag which should help filter out the metal right? Any other suggestions?

PS.. I am running a cartridge filter now.. but PB is installing a sand here in a few weeks.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok making progress.. I emailed PB and he said he put in 4 qts of "Unique"??? when we started the fill. I would assume that's a sequestering agent. I also let him know the pool went green when I added the 1lb bag of shock. He advised I put in 10lbs of GLB Super Sequa-Sol. My pool is only about 16k gallons. PS said usually 3-4 qts of sequestering agent should be enough. I went ahead and added 1qt of "Pool Style Super Metal Control". I also had some SUN pH down so I added a 1.5lbs of that as well. I will take new numbers tonight. PS tested water again and they said iron was 2ppm. So not too bad.

Am I on the right track here?

12. Back To Top    #12

Latest numbers.. Adding CYA via sock method now.

FC 2
    CC .5
    TC 2.5
    TA 140
    CYA 0
    pH 7.3

13. Back To Top    #13

I've never used a sequesterant. How does the water look now that you added it?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Water is crystal clear now. It took a good 24 hours though.

15. Back To Top    #15

Some updated pics.. I was concerned this liner might be too dark but I am really liking it.