Correct pressure for Hayward 4030?

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
I checked the pressure on my Hayward 4030 filtering system, and it's running at 20 PSI, a little higher than yesterday. Normally it runs at 14-16 PSI. The green needle is set to 14, and the red needle is set at 24, and this was set by the pool builder.

I looked at the Hawyward manual and it says the ideal pressure is 7-10 psi. Have I been running at a too high psi level all this time? How do I lower the psi? Should I clean the filters again? (I've already cleaned them only 3-4 weeks ago).

Pressure varies from system to system. Too many factors to have a "normal" pressure. That green/red needle setting is meaningless as it is now. Well the green one might be correct, but if your "clean" pressure is 14, the red needle should be at 17 or 18. That's a roughly 20% rise in pressure from "clean." It's time to clean the filters.

I'm less familiar with cartridge filters, so other experts can chime in but I'd read Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters.

EDIT: Also... if you're having to clean the filters more often than usual or you expect, is there a chemical reason why? Test results wouldn't hurt.

Is it normal for the pressure to go up 20% while slamming in order to get rid of organics?

Oh yes, didn't know you were in the process of a SLAM. That's when your filter will rise the most because it is clearing the pool. Cartridges are VERY effective at clearing particulates and will catch alot, especially if you're killing algae. Do you have another thread about your current SLAM?

EDIT again... I see you do have a SLAM thread. Keep at it and yes, clean the filters.

Problem solved!! Cleaned the filters, got a LOT of gunk out and couldn't believe how much ithe filters picked up in just 1 month and a 4 day SLAM.

Pressure running at a cool 16 psi (green/red range is 14-24), a solid 4 psi decrease.

Not one air bubble in the entire system! Pretty darn proud of myself right now :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.