Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BayouPoPo...A rookie again!

1. Back To Top    #1

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

BayouPoPo...A rookie again!

Just an introduction to the group. Please pardon if I get nervous, I've never spoken to 60,000 people before. Well, I probably have during my lifetime but not all at once!

I live in south Louisiana, graduated from LSU, and I've been a cop for over 28 years. After being a cop for this long I never thought I'd have to be called "rookie" ever again but I'm definitely a rookie pool owner! I bought a house in October 2013 that had a pool. Mind you, I didn't start small. This beast is 40,000 gallons! I knew it was going to be extra work but I was not prepared for just how much work it is. Be that as it may, it has created a new hobby for me and a challenge to be the best pool master ever!

I stumbled onto this forum looking for information on the web. I started reading articles and learning stuff in pool school right away. You can tell by my signature that I have not become intimately familiar with my equipment yet but I will update that as I get more information. I'm very glad to have found this site and I'm looking forward to all the awesome information and help!

Theresa (aka bayoupopo)
    40,000 gal IG gunite, SWG, Dolphin Premier cleaner. I know it has a filter and a pump and I'm pretty sure one of them has sand in it...haha.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: BayouPoPo...A rookie again!

Welcome to TFP!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

Welcome aboard!

Get familiar with that equipment. If you need help identifying things, post pictures. Helps to post pictures of product labels on pumps/filters/etc. If you need help posting pictures to the site, use an online photo storage/sharing site like There is a tutorial on the site: Posting Photos Tutorial by Leebo.

You're off to a great start by having a kit on the way!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find this the friendliest place you visit on the net. I promise that you will get all the help you need about pools. Lot'f of experienced folks here that willingly share what they know.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Welcome to TFP!~ I second posting pics of that beatly pool and of your pool equipment! Congrats on the test kit too! When you need refills, get them at
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    South Carolina

Great intro

Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to the forum!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.