Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oasis Z5 Question - Stuck on bottom grates

1. Back To Top    #1

Oasis Z5 Question - Stuck on bottom grates

I just got my Maytronics Oasis Z5 running yesterday and within 5 minutes of being in the pool, it got stuck on one of the bottom grates. Anyone have a similar problem with the Z5 or another Maytronics product? Would anyone have a suggestion for a grate with a smaller stack height? I really don't want to return the unit, but also do not want to stand around watching to see if it hangs up either. Thank you for the help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oasis Z5 Question - Stuck on bottom grates

Welcome to TFP iceskier.

Lets see if anyone can help you with your question.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Ice, Welcome to TFP!

I just got an M5 and its pretty much the same unit. I'm sorry, but this has not been any kind of issue at all with mine. Your grates/covers must really stick up pretty high do they?

Are you able to drive him off with the remote? If it keeps happening, it sounds like you may have to change the grates if that is possible. I am sure that unit performs as well as mine and it is a dream machine. I'd hate to see you not find that out with yours. I would call Epic, and see what they have to say. I'm sure they would be helpful.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

It would be interesting to see if the m5 with the third brush got stuck the same way.
    25,000 gallon Inground vinyl liner , Sand filter. Southern PA USA

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a Z5 and it has no issue going over any of the two drains that I have. I love this thing!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same issue with my new Z5. I just ordered some Main Drain Clip-ons from http://stores.maindrainclipon.com. The site has some videos showing how to install - looks pretty easy. Seems like they should work. I'll report back after I receive them.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    I have a Z5 and it has no issue going over any of the two drains that I have. I love this thing!
    Do you have your pump on when you run the Z5? I wonder if having it off makes a difference.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

8. Back To Top    #8

Good question....I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps that's why? Even if I had it on, I have my main drains off and slimmer only.

9. Back To Top    #9

I use something similar to this.
    1202079302_Smart-RingDrainRampforAutomaticPoolCleaners_120207035.jpg
    Google "smart ring main drain"
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    Good question....I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps that's why? Even if I had it on, I have my main drains off and slimmer only.
    Interesting. I think I'm going to have to try that.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_k View Post
    I had the same issue with my new Z5. I just ordered some Main Drain Clip-ons from http://stores.maindrainclipon.com. The site has some videos showing how to install - looks pretty easy. Seems like they should work. I'll report back after I receive them.
    So far the results are disappointing. The video makes it look like they are very easy to install. The problem is the guy is four feet away and working out of the water. When you're 12 feet away, working through 8 1/2 feet of water - not so easy. Even though my water is crystal clear, it's hard to see the end of the clip and hard to line it up with the first hole. When it is lined up, the action of snapping it in with a 12 foot pole is very hit or miss. Mostly miss. It doesn't help that every time you move the pole it creates ripples on the surface of the water, making it even harder to see. I was able to get one on but broke another. I'm going to have to have my son swim down and attach the others manually.

I planned to attach two to each drain cover. I decided to see how it goes with just one, and it doesn't appear to be making any difference. My Z5 has gotten stuck on that drain five times already.

I will look into the smart ring as well. Thanks laprjns.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Mike, do you have any pics of your main drains? I'm curious as I don't want to deal with this problem.

do they look like this?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

13. Back To Top    #13

My M5 goes over the main drain like its not there. No problems. I run the main drain and 2 skimmers at the same time.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    Mike, do you have any pics of your main drains? I'm curious as I don't want to deal with this problem.

do they look like this?
    Sorry - just saw this! Yeah - mine look like yours, sort of:

I came here to post an update on the main drain clip ons. As I said above I was able to successfully attach one of the clips. I ran the Z5 - it dislodged the clip and sucked it up. Dolphin 1, clips 0. It was an impressive move on the Dolphin's part, though. I still plan to install the clips by hand and try again, but I'm not too hopeful. I tried running the Dolphin tonight without the main drains on, but it didn't make any difference. It still got stuck 5 or 6 times. It sounds like the third brush in the M5 makes a difference.

15. Back To Top    #15

I have Z5 also with exact problem, very disappointing, no fix that I can find and no help from sellers. At least my old Tiger Shark had an add on piece you could attach to robot to resolve the problem.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by RCB13 View Post
    I have Z5 also with exact problem, very disappointing, no fix that I can find and no help from sellers. At least my old Tiger Shark had an add on piece you could attach to robot to resolve the problem.
    You've made this statement three different times including this post. The first three posts you've made on this forum were with this statement.

The answer to your problem is in at least two of these threads. The main drain covers seems to be the answer to the problem for everyone having this issue.

As for Epic not answering or getting back to you, I can't say, but they were helpful to me when I was shopping for a cleaner, and as far as I know, good with other purchasers of Dolphin products.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by RCB13 View Post
    At least my old Tiger Shark had an add on piece you could attach to robot to resolve the problem.
    Would it be possible for you to post a picture or link for this part?
    Thanks
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    The answer to your problem is in at least two of these threads. The main drain covers seems to be the answer to the problem for everyone having this issue.
    I think that I've seen all of the threads on this issue, but I've not seen any posts discussing main drain covers that are solving the problem. I see one post that refers to a "smart ring" - is this what you're talking about? If not, can you point to those posts? Thanks!

19. Back To Top    #19

I just ordered 2 Polaris unicovers. Should have them Wednesday to install.

My dolphin was constantly hanging up on my drains. Filter on or off.

Will post back how they work.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
    Would it be possible for you to post a picture or link for this part?
    Thanks
    Sure, it's just a sloped raised piece that clips onto suction hole/slit on bottom, never got stuck after this addition, however this is my 'backup' robot and needs some work to get working good again since older machine that's been borrowed quite a few times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast