Pool startup water problems

fyn409

Jul 9, 2013
Help! I have an Intex 14' ultra frame pool. Just put it up yesterday (previously had just a 10' ez-set). Started filling it last night with our well water, the same water we used for the ez-set. We got the pool about 1/3 of the way full last night and all was looking good. I added the prescribed amount of chlorine let it fill for a bit longer to circulate the chlorine then shut it down and went to bed. Got up this morning to green/brown looking, you can see through it without a problem but it has a heavy hue. I know I have iron in my water, but I do not know how much. I suspect from what I read in pool school that this is what is causing the color, but I am looking for suggestions.

My ez-set did not have this issue, but I was able to fill most of it with softened water because it was so small.

I do not yet have the TF-100 kit, just an OTO so I took the numbers this morning and the FC is about 5 and PH is 7.6. Do I need to consider a sequestering agent? Will the sand filter take this out once I get that running? What do you suggest?

-Ryan

EDIT: I just found the water test I had done when I purchased my water softener about 9 years ago and at that time my iron level was .75 ppm so from what I have read that is not much. Again I am open to ideas. I am continuing to fill the pool this morning so I can get he water level high enough to start the filter and see if that helps any.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think anything above .3 ppm can be an issue.

I thought I read it was above 3 PPM not .3 PPM was an issue, but maybe I read that wrong. Do you guys think I should wait it out and run the filter a lot, or should I put in a sequester agent now? If it is iron that is causing this I don't want to stain my brand new pool.

I just checked and the water level is almost high enough to turn on the pump. So far the water still has the heavy brown/green hue even with the "Fresh" water I am adding this morning.

Thanks,
Ryan

Well, kept the chlorine level up and kept filling the pool. Once the water was up to the return level I turned on the pump. After about 2 hours the water started to clear up. Left the pump on and by evening it was clear!

Took the inaugural swim in the pool tonight. It was cool, but was great. Several of the neighbor kids came over to swim with my daughter. They had been swimming in another pool earlier in the day. Once they got in our pool they kept saying wow, I can see my feet in this pool! I just sat back and smiled.

Thanks for the help, and so far TFP method is working great!

-Ryan

Glad it cleared up and the kids could see their feet!

Instead of purchasing the TF100, you could get a TF50 for your small pool. It should last you through the season if you don't have to SLAM. :goodjob:

Enjoy your pool! :cool:

To follow up, your good description would make it seem that iron in your water was the cause......the same thing happens in my pool - but not always.

I believe what you saw was SOME of the iron being captured by the filter but most of it simply going back into it's soluable state.

The chlorine TEMPORARILY raises the pH. That temporary rise allows the iron to precipitate for a while and then get redissolved as the pH returns to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.