Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gone for a couple days -- can I jack up chlorine to compensate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Gone for a couple days -- can I jack up chlorine to compensate?

We are leaving to go out of town today and come back Monday. This is my first pool and also my first absence from it. I will be able to balance the pool this afternoon but won't be able to again until Monday. My chlorine target is generally 5ppm and I lose maybe 2ppm a day. Can I put enough chlorine in today to bring it up to ~9-10ppm to last over the weekend? My daughter and her grand mother will still be around, can they safely go swimming in this level of chlorine without bleaching swimsuits, etc.?

For that matter, both my wife and I will be gone for an entire week this summer. I'm guessing I can't jack up the chlorine to ~16ppm to compensate for that week, can I?
    ~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gone for a couple days -- can I jack up chlorine to compensate?

Can you get a floater and put some tablets in it? The chlorine won't last through the weekend. That level is not going to bleach anything out (unless one had that level with 0 CYA).
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

What's your CYA level?

You can safely bring the FC up to SLAM level, and as long as it's below SLAM level, it's safe to swim in. When I go on vacation, I raise FC to SLAM and put the solar blanket on it. No problems for a week.

Can you trust Grandma to pour bleach in the pool once while you're gone? If you showed her exactly how to do it, exactly how much, and exactly when to do it?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

You can do a site search for "vacation" and get lots of info/ideas
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool isn't two weeks old yet, my CYA level a week after adding my first dose was 30. I added another 15ppm this past Monday in a second dose to hopefully bring it up to 45ppm. Looking at the chart, SLAM level is between 16-20 for 40-50CYA.

I thought floater tablets were a bad idea? And why wouldn't the chlorine last, does it use up more a day with more chlorine in it or something?

I could maybe trust her and I suppose I could even make it easier for her and just tell her to add X amount of bleach on Sunday without testing, assuming X wouldn't raise it past SLAM level. Although she sometimes has troubles getting around and forgets things, so if it's safe and doable I'd rather just jack it up today.
    ~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Floaters are ok as long as you know your CYA level. If you are in the recommended range it is ok to use 1 or 2 pucks while you are away from the pool. You can't do it all the time or the CYA will be out of control in a big hurry!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!