Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yearly Intex Setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Yearly Intex Setup

We have a Intex Ultra 16x48 and have used it for the past three years. The pool has been great. I setup the pool each spring and take down in the fall. Setup includes black polyethelene tarp and 1/4" fanfold foam insulation. I like to think that the 1/4" foam helps protect and foot feel. I never went with the thicker foams because of the price. Currently spend $100 yearly on the 1/4" fanfold ($50 for 4'x50'). Does 1/4" foam really make a difference? At the end of the season I throw out the foam as it looks pretty beat up from pool weight and moisture.

Tough to swallow spending $100 on foam each season. My family is talking about retiring our current pool and upgrading to the 22x52 ... so that will increase foam price even more!

So is putting down 1/4" foam worth it? Thoughts? Alternatives?

2. Back To Top    #2

Chesapeake, VA

Re: Yearly Intex Setup

I would put down some sand and then a tarp, but that is my $.02 worth, mine sits on 16"x16" patio pavers (Deck doubled as a basketball area in the 'off-season' but have left pool up for 3 seasons yeah yeah I know) but this fall taking down pool, will rip up the pavers and relocate them to other areas of the yard. then sand goes down, a tarp and then an 18' or bigger pool
    Dave Graham
    6,000 Gallon 16' x 4' Intex Round Ultra Frame
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Canberra Australia

Foam underneath is a really nice touch, it does feel nice underfoot... We will be using foam underneath our pool when we set it up in September...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

Have you thought about just leaving the pool up all winter and just winterizing it? You could save $100 in foam next year.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter