Humming Pump

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I put the krippy krauler (sp?) to run and all was fine and well. A frog took a dive into the pool and there it stays. Me and the children spent some time outside and all was fine and well, except the frog was nowhere to be seen. We needed to go out and upon return I notice the pump was not running. It had tripped the breaker, and it was rather hot. The frog was in the basket and the pump was still on but not running. I turned it off, fixed the breaker and gave it a moment. When I tried to turn it on, it just hummed and nothing, I did not wait, just turned it off and it has been off since. Did the frog manage to burn the pump? Is there a way for me to check the pump before cashing out to replace it?

Hi Brasilmom typically when a pool pump motor is just humming it is do to a bad capacitor. You can purchase a motor capictor for roughly $30 also here is a good guide with video walking you through how to do the replacement http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_to_replace_a_pool_pump_capacitor.aspx

Thank you patrick3229. My husband is going to stop at the local pool place this afternoon and get the capacitor. We were able to open the pump and noticed that the impeller appear to be free. But, interesting enough, it has a cover of sort, but we were not able to get that one off. The little impeller appears to be housed inside said "cover". Will update later once we have the parts and time to work with it more.

If you wanted to replace the entire motor than The replacement motor for the Hayward northstar would be a USN1102 or a SN1102 the USN1102 is if you have an uprated motor which typically has a service factor listed as SF on your motor label of 1.1 SF. If your label reads a SF of 1.65 then you would require the full rate SN1102 motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.