Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Humming Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Humming Pump

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I put the krippy krauler (sp?) to run and all was fine and well. A frog took a dive into the pool and there it stays. Me and the children spent some time outside and all was fine and well, except the frog was nowhere to be seen. We needed to go out and upon return I notice the pump was not running. It had tripped the breaker, and it was rather hot. The frog was in the basket and the pump was still on but not running. I turned it off, fixed the breaker and gave it a moment. When I tried to turn it on, it just hummed and nothing, I did not wait, just turned it off and it has been off since. Did the frog manage to burn the pump? Is there a way for me to check the pump before cashing out to replace it?
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl
    Hayward Pro-Series High-rate sand filter (S310T)
    Nature2 Zodiac chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Humming Pump

Hi Brasilmom typically when a pool pump motor is just humming it is do to a bad capacitor. You can purchase a motor capictor for roughly $30 also here is a good guide with video walking you through how to do the replacement http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...capacitor.aspx

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by patrick3229 View Post
    Hi Brasilmom typically when a pool pump motor is just humming it is do to a bad capacitor. You can purchase a motor capictor for roughly $30 also here is a good guide with video walking you through how to do the replacement http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...capacitor.aspx
    Thank you patrick3229. My husband is going to stop at the local pool place this afternoon and get the capacitor. We were able to open the pump and noticed that the impeller appear to be free. But, interesting enough, it has a cover of sort, but we were not able to get that one off. The little impeller appears to be housed inside said "cover". Will update later once we have the parts and time to work with it more.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

What kind of pump do you have?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a Hayward NorthStar 1hp.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you wanted to replace the entire motor than The replacement motor for the Hayward northstar would be a USN1102 or a SN1102 the USN1102 is if you have an uprated motor which typically has a service factor listed as SF on your motor label of 1.1 SF. If your label reads a SF of 1.65 then you would require the full rate SN1102 motor.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you everyone for the help. The capacitor was replaced and the pump is now running. We took the time to clean the pump up and everything.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Awesome!

Thank You
    Patrick
    www.inyopools.com