Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex ultraframe--which to upgrade first-- sand filter or saltwater system?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex ultraframe--which to upgrade first-- sand filter or saltwater system?

Hi,

I have a 22' ultraframe I bought last year. The pump/filter wasn't adequate to filter our well water last year. I had wanted to buy a sand filter/saltwater system combo this spring, but my budget won't allow it yet. But, in looking at amazon, I think I can buy these things separately. SO, which should I buy first--the sand filter, or the saltwater system? Then, would I be able to add the other component later on this summer without draining the pool?

One more question--I'm confused about sizes. What size sand filter and saltwater system is best? My pool says it holds 11,000 gallons.

Thanks so so much!

Teresa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex ultraframe--which to upgrade first-- sand filter or saltwater system?

Welcome to TFP. Buy the sand filter first and manually dose the pool this year with liquid Chlorine. You can learn how to do that here in Pool School. Also, while you're shopping for a new sand filter,
    get a reliable test kit. You can check them out here Test Kit Comparison. You will get more reagents with the TF100. Good Luck!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! Buy the sand filter first. You want to get the largest filter you can afford. If you are sticking with Intex brand products their 3000 GPH sand filter/pump combo would be the best choice.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Count me as one more vote for the sand filter first.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation