Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new fill chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

new fill chemicals

Have been filling pool with city water for 56 hours. Water is still about an inch from the skimmer. I added the 75oz of .CYA in a sock suspended form a inflatable about an hour ago. And from what I could gather was going to add 26 oz of Borax, and 81 oz of Bleach and run the pump around the clock for a few days. I have been waiting patiently for it to fill but have to get up at 4:00 AM for a 12 hr shift and really was wondering if I could just go ahead and dump this stuff in all at once or not. And how exactly the borax should get added.
    I would much appreciate some advice.
    Thanks.

FC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 50
    CYA 0
    13.5 k gallon, AG Swim n' Play Inc. Islamorda 24 ft. round , Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter 40GPM.
    Install 5/20/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new fill chemicals

Wait 20-30 min between chemicals, and have the pump running the whole time. Premix the dry stuff in a bucket of water, then pour in front of a return. Slowly pour liquids into the return stream.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

The bleach is easy. Just pour it into the hose stream. Borax can wait until tomorrow night. You won't be etching a vinylpool like you would with plaster.

With the exception of CYA, because it takes so long to dissolve, you only add one chemical at a time and allow half an hour of circulation between them. Minimum.

Instructions on adding each chemical are in this article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are awesome!
    13.5 k gallon, AG Swim n' Play Inc. Islamorda 24 ft. round , Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter 40GPM.
    Install 5/20/14

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll be happy from day one to be following the methods from this site. My pool went up almost the same date last year. Has been crystal clear constantly. Friends and neighbors all went hazy or green by the end of the summer from using pucks or expensive once a week treatments in their pools. Daily maintenance takes 5 minutes at most to do a quick test and top off the chlorine. Biggest problem is that the water is so clear you'll be able to see the smallest spec of dirt and want to get it out! I think the official term they use here is "sparklipoolitis".
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter