Intex sand filter pump good now lower pressure???

May 2, 2013
Just opened pool four (4) days ago. Hard plumb 14x42 pool and installed Hayward wall skimmer.
....oh and a fountain. (This is how I noticed lower pressure or flow)

Installed two (2) returns. With both returns open the fountain sprayed great. If I closed one (1) return valve the fountain was almost to much....or would spray over pool.

Ok...for the sand filter pump. I installed and backwashed as directions stated. Pressure gauge reads in green or little past the half way mark or I'd say 6-8 psi

Everything as been great until today. I got into pool witb kids and notice a couple tiny metal flakes.......few grass blades....etc. (thought the pool was clean until I got in with a mask....lol)
So I grabbed the vacuum hose and went around and vacuum with just the hose since there wasn't much.

Now...I wished I'd turn the fountain on prior.....but didn't. ..so I can't say for 100% this happend after vacuuming. ...but now when I turn the fountain on ...the spray goes only 1/3 the distances that it used to. The return don't have the pressure or flow. (This is determined by feeling on hand)

So...I spent the last hour searching.....reading. Then went out.....backwashed for 1:40 ...or until water didn't have any more particals in it. Then rinsed.
The results: Same.....same reading on guage and same flow/pressure out of returns and fountain.

I'm puzzled? ???

Also...when I purchased the sand....I asked if it was #20 ....they said it was 20/30
Is or could this be an issue? Because after an 1 1/2 of brain storming. ....this is the only thing I'm not sure of.

Also....Water is crystal clear!!....looks fantastic. ..... ph and clorine is where it needs to be. (Color testing)(I know.....I need a better testing kit)...last year I never had any issues with paper filter and swg and cheap testing kit...just tested ph and clorine about everyday .....but as I re read pool school. ...I trying to figure out the CYA thing and what that's all about. ....

I could really use some help. Done all this plumbing and set up....no worried why pressure or flow is down.
(Remember. ....the flow as been awsome for 4 days now)

same reading on gauge and same flow/pressure out of returns and fountain.
I think that means your psi remains at 6-8 but your flow is still reduced from where it was when you started four days ago....correct?

If so, look for some obstruction on the suction side (between the intake and the pump) of you system. You may have ingested something that is stuck in either the pumps impeller. Have you inspected the suction side carefully? Are you getting any air in the pump strainer basket.

Yes on your answer/question....you understand my rabble. ..lol
No sir, I am not getting any air or leaks.
I will inspect the suction side either Saturday or Monday.
Just puzzled on what or if or how something got in to obstruct it.
(I drained pool and cleaned prior to filling)

I will update when I get a chance to do so.

THANK YOU for your reply!

Let us know how it turns out on your pump situation Kyles. I have a Sand Filter on my pool and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any problems yet. Also, would love to see the mods you've done to your pool!

I will differently post how it goes. It is the least I can do to return the help.
I will post pics as soon as get a chance. (I'm sure glad I did the hard plumb this year because I learned some things I will do different next year when upgraded size of pool....I will post and let everyone know what I learned....."do's aand don'ts" for me)

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75808-Upgraded-Intex-14x42-with-pics?p=650385#post650385

↑↑↑↑↑I went ahead and made a thread on my pool. A handful of pics.

As for this issue. I took the pump apart and all it had was a couole of hairs in it. Then 're lubed the o-rings.
So...the flow still seems a bit lower than it was the first few days. But not as extreme. I don't think there is a major issue....and can not see any other problems....so maybe it's just me??
No air bubbles whats so ever in pump. In fact....I get scared sometimes when I look down....I think...omg....there's not water in there....lol

Guess I should buy a flow meter? I have to research them....because I don't know anything about them....more TFP reading ;)

I just keep an eye on it until then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.