Just starting TFP...where to start first?

May 13, 2014
Hobbs, NM
Bought a house last fall. Pool not in use due to equipment being bad. Replaced equipment with those listed in signature. Pool open about 8 weeks as I live in SE NM. Been using 3" trichlor tabs and shocking as recommended by pool guy (you can stop laughing at any time). You can see where their advice has gotten me. They also recommended running pump 24 hours a day. I am running it around 8, more when we have high winds with lots of dust and debris in the air.

Water is clear. I waited to start this process until I got my test kit. Until now we were using a standard test kit and maintaining chlorine about 1-3 and ph at 7.4-7.6.

Test results with new kit:
FC = 1.2 ppm
CC = .4 ppm
PH = 7.4
TA = 190 ppm
CH = 320 (tested my fill water and it has the same reading)
CYA = over 100 test kit didn't have higher markings

Where do I start? I did the math calculator but with the holiday weekend I can't have it not be swimmable (read that as I don't want to screw it up).

I know I need to get the FC up with chlorine based on my CYA. Draining water is not an option with cost and frankly it just doesn't feel responsible dumping 1/2 of my pool water given where I live. (I know should we even have a pool but that is another discussion.) I get significant evaporation requiring refilling. Can I do a conscious effort of small drains/backwash/refills and evaporation refills, no more Trichlor tabs along with CYA/FC monitoring until I get the CYA down? What role will my solar cover play in the process of maintaining FC levels....try to keep it on more or less time?

In case it helps...pool water is between 87-92 depending on time of day, etc. Solar cover keeps it up at night.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP. It seems you have a good grasp of the TFPC. Since you won't do a partial drain and are counting on other means to get the CYA down, like Richard suggested, keep the FC up until it comes down through minimal refills and such.

Have any pics?

I hadn't thought of that but my first instinct is will it hurt the grass?

Am i fighting my efforts in any way by dealing with the TA at the same time? Thoughts on my CH? The water here is the curse of every water heater, softener, etc.

It's shouldn't hurt your grass but if you drive up your FC level and put it on your lawn....I'm not sure what FC is too much for grass.

Unfortunately evaporation doesn't affect CYA levels. It just concentrates as the water level drops. Your CH is fine and do not sweat your TA. It's the least of your worries and it will drop with acid additions and time.

It's shouldn't hurt your grass but if you drive up your FC level and put it on your lawn....I'm not sure what FC is too much for grass.

Unfortunately evaporation doesn't affect CYA levels. It just concentrates as the water level drops. Your CH is fine and do not sweat your TA. It's the least of your worries and it will drop with acid additions and time.
I turned my lawn into a rice paddy with 240 CYA/ 24 FC water. It thrived. The actual aggressive chlorine level is lower than unstabilized tap water with only 2 FC in it.

So do you think if I stay around 12-14 FC initially while I start getting the water exchanged I should be good? The water is crystal clear.
The FC level is entirely dependent upon the CYA level. Have you tried reading CYA with the dilution method? Post 8, step 9 What if the CYA is 250? Minimum will be 19FC! 14 will eventually lead to algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. With being in bright and sunny NM, with little to no rain, it sounds like I should shoot for a CYA of 70-80 rather than the lower range given. Right?
70 is probably okay. The problem with higher CYA is that the minimum FC level is always going to be higher than the colormatching test block reads, so it will be the FAS-DPD test every time. And the pH test is iffy when FC is above 10.

12 after some additions of fresh water I just added more bleach to get to 14. My CC had gone up overnight but the pool had been covered for almost two days due to lousy weather, actual rain! After reading the forums, I elected to not overreact and get some sunlight on the pool. Down now so one drop takes it away! You all are fantastic!

You should have captured some of that rain! It doesn't have any CYA or CH in it.

I started out in the same boat as you, and I directed one of the raingutter downspouts into the pool. I end up getting 3X rainfall added. So a 2" rainstorm adds 6" to my pool, which is about 10%. We had one good storm that dumped several inches a couple years ago, and that's when I really saw some improvement in things! It works even better if you can pump out beforehand.

I have been testing in the evening and adding chlorine as directed to move it to 14. When I test the next day it is at 9. And I add chlorine to take it to 14. Should I retest after an hour or so to make sure I am at 14? Is moving from 14-9 an okay swing? Temps here have been mild and overcast. In fact no one swam yesterday. Some rain both Fri and Sat night. My CC has been 0. PH has been hovering around 7.6. I have not retested CYA (which was at 140) as I figure I haven't had enough water replacement to be effective in making a real impact. Water is crystal clear. My husband says he didn't think it could look clearer but it does. Thanks TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.