Intex Above Ground? Tell me about it!

Wow Adam! I don't know how you did that and were still able to keep the shape of the pool! Great job. :goodjob:

Ps. And you take it down every year!?! I took mine down last year because we wanted to move it. I will NOT do that again! Cleaning that thing before putting it away was a NIGHTMARE!

austinsmom01 said:
Ps. And you take it down every year!?! I took mine down last year because we wanted to move it. I will NOT do that again! Cleaning that thing before putting it away was a NIGHTMARE!

You must be lucky enough to live somewhere where it doesn't snow. Up here in Wisconsin we don't really have a choice.

Taking it down is not THAT bad... We just vacuum and clean the whole pool right before we push the side down to let the water out. Then it sits upside down stretched out on a bunch of patio chairs for a few days to dry. After that, roll it up and put it away for the winter.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Adam, where is your plumbing going? :shock:

To the filter of course! :lol:
DVC00081.jpg

And the solar panels on the garage...
DVC00083.jpg

Adam

No, I live in South Georgia so no snow for me thank goodness! You are obviously a pro at it having done it so many times. It rained and dumped all kinds of junk in mine when I emptied it. The ground was muddy too so that didn't help with trying to keep it clean. We rolled it out front and hosed it off, draped it over the truck and stored it away. Ok, so nightmare was a bit harsh but I WON'T do that again unless I have to. :lol:

Hi fellow Intex pool owners. I'm really enjoying mine and would recommend them to anyone that wants to get their first pool. It was a great investment and we've really enjoyed it.

I'm curious if any of you have found a way to adapt something to the return fitting inside the pool to redirect the water down and to the side? I'd like to point it so it helps stir the water on the bottom and improve the filtering.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the 1000 GPH pump and filter that came with it. It has kept my water crystal clear but I do run it 24/7. However, running it 24/7 only cost $.25 a day so it's worth it I think. I would think that the pump will give out at some point so I did order a replacement Intex 2500 GPH unit. I plan on trying what austinsmom01 tried. However, I plan on hooking mine in parallel and only use the 2500 for vacuuming or if the 1000 GPH unit dies. I'll post to the thread she started when I get the new pump and get it working (or not) :lol:

Also, have any of you added a stock or stocking to the skimmer basket? I'm thinking that may help keep all those little bugs from getting to my filter. If you've done something like this, can you share your experience?

wsettle said:
Hi fellow Intex pool owners. I'm really enjoying mine and would recommend them to anyone that wants to get their first pool. It was a great investment and we've really enjoyed it.

I'm curious if any of you have found a way to adapt something to the return fitting inside the pool to redirect the water down and to the side? I'd like to point it so it helps stir the water on the bottom and improve the filtering.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the 1000 GPH pump and filter that came with it. It has kept my water crystal clear but I do run it 24/7. However, running it 24/7 only cost $.25 a day so it's worth it I think. I would think that the pump will give out at some point so I did order a replacement Intex 2500 GPH unit. I plan on trying what austinsmom01 tried. However, I plan on hooking mine in parallel and only use the 2500 for vacuuming or if the 1000 GPH unit dies. I'll post to the thread she started when I get the new pump and get it working (or not) :lol:

Also, have any of you added a stock or stocking to the skimmer basket? I'm thinking that may help keep all those little bugs from getting to my filter. If you've done something like this, can you share your experience?

Hi! :wave: I too love my Intex but it only has me eager for something bigger and more permanent! Let me know how the parallel pumping works out! :goodjob: I have actually added a pipe to my return with an elbow to angle the water to create a whirlpool to stir the water up and help with filtering. In the intake I added another pipe and inserted a filter on the end with a cap over the hole to catch stuff before it went into the pump/filter. Works GREAT and has really cleared my pool up while I'm still waiting for my sand filter to arrive. (ps. I don't keep it on all the time but I've just battled algae and my filter was working overtime so I gave it a boost) I also have a skimmer on order and hope it works good. I go around the pool once a day with the broom and stir the water up. Or, just throw a few kids in the pool and blend away! :lol:

I have actually added a pipe to my return with an elbow to angle the water to create a whirlpool to stir the water up and help with filtering.
OK, so you are the one that did it. I thought I saw a post about it but could not come up with the search terms to find it again but now I know it was you, I see it here. You've had some trouble for sure but it looks like you got it under control which is great.

I haven't taken my return outlet to Home Depot yet but is it just a large pipe thread? If so, did you just use a coupling from a plumbing supply to thread on the return? Any chance of a picture of how it hooks to the return and the fittings you used?

Thanks,
Bill

101_1707.jpg

Not sure what it's called but it's a 1" pvc adaptor for a hose. Then I stuck a 1" pvc pipe on the end with a 1" elbow (not shown). Fit's in the hole nicely.

101_1658.jpg

Here's mine. Of course I used a longer 12" or so pipe so it would stick up out of the water.
Ps. I left the blue return connector in place and just unscrewed the screen.

Or you could go here and order the hose adaptor and find another piece to fit. I bought one of these for my vacuum hose. http://www.intexstore.com/ProductList.a ... goryID=109

I'm not sure the size of your pool but you could find one on that site that should fit.
PSS. I didn't glue them. They fit together tightly enough I didn't need to.

Aye, now I get it. You just have the 1" pvc hose adapter pushed into the return piece and it's held in there by friction. That should work great. Thanks for the link to the Intex version of it but shipping is like $5+ so a trip to Home Depot is in order. Then I can get the pvc angled couplings to make it point where ever I need. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wsettle said:
Aye, now I get it. You just have the 1" pvc hose adapter pushed into the return piece and it's held in there by friction. That should work great. Thanks for the link to the Intex version of it but shipping is like $5+ so a trip to Home Depot is in order. Then I can get the pvc angled couplings to make it point where ever I need. Thanks!

Glad to help! I owe everyone here a kidney! Too bad I only have two!

You'll find what you need at HD (and only cost you a few pennies). I had to wait a week or so for my vacuum hose adaptor but for future reference, intexcorp.com does sell other replacement parts you may need for your intex.

I also made an adapter of sorts for my pool return so I can direct the water. The hole in the blue piece, without the screen on is the perfect size for a 1 1/2" to 2" PVC adapter to friction fit into. So that piece is perminately jammed in the blue piece and I can just use standard 2" PVC pipe and fittings to do anyhting I want. When ever people are not in the pool I have a short (6") pipe and a 45* bend stuck in the return to my water circulates under the cover and distributes the warm water better.

We also have the skimmer and it works surprisingly well! I take the solar cover off about and hour before we swim and put the skimmer in. It sucks in all the junk floating on top within 30 min. The other 30 min. I spend vacuuming all the Crud that gets under the solar cover. :evil:

On a side note, today the solar brought our water temp to 92* and it's supposed to be 90 and sunny for the next 3 days... I may be swimming in a giant hot tub. LOL And I'm just fine with that... :goodjob: 8)

Adam

launboy said:
We also have the skimmer and it works surprisingly well! I take the solar cover off about and hour before we swim and put the skimmer in. It sucks in all the junk floating on top within 30 min. The other 30 min. I spend vacuuming all the Crud that gets under the solar cover. :evil:

On a side note, today the solar brought our water temp to 92* and it's supposed to be 90 and sunny for the next 3 days... I may be swimming in a giant hot tub. LOL And I'm just fine with that... :goodjob: 8)

Adam

Glad to hear the skimmer works well as I have one on the way. I live in south Georgia and it's already 85 here and it's only 945a.m. No need for solar panels! :shock: Enjoy your hot tub! :lol:

Here's a problem I want to know if anyone has dealt with it. The pool is not level.
We just bought an 18 X 42 Sand N Sun. Same as Intex. We're in the country and used well water and that created other problems.
The water has not been crystal clear once. But it's been balanced and we're swimming in it.
We have the metal pole framed one. This weekend we had upto 4 adults or older teens in at one time and were horsing around and chasing and what not. I'm sure someone at some point has kicked off the sides.
Well, our pool started slightly unlevel and now it's worse since the guests played in it. It's so lopsided the skimmer can only get so much water in through to the filter. I'm sucking in air along with water.
I read somewhere someone describing a way to get more water into the filter. But you know how it goes when trying to learn and reading hundreds of threads.
And for those whose return water is above the water and hitting the air first-remember that aerating the water raises your pH naturally.

My metal frame Sand & Sun (Intex) has been great fun for the family this year and my 8 and 11 yr old daughters are swimming with the best of them now. :-D I personally like for my water to be a bit chilly for that refreshing dip after work. I fashioned a fountain from a 2 dollar lawn sprinkler that I run at night to bring the temp down.

The whirlpool thing and skimmer does work great and keeps the floaties and occursed South Georgia flying ants in check. My skimmer is adjustable up and down so I don't have any problems with sucking air etc. My pool is also a bit off level (1.5") even though I went to great pains to prepare the area. It has not caused a problem at all other than bug the poo out of me (OCD) :roll: .

My pool is about 1 inch low on 3-4 posts on one side as they sunk in the mud after a hard rain. No problems with mine either but it does bother the heck out of me too. I think the important thing is to make sure the vertical posts are perpendicular to the ground. Even though mine are low, they are still straight up and down. If they are leaning, the pool may have a greater tendency to collapse.

Lukelou said:
It's so lopsided the skimmer can only get so much water in through to the filter. I'm sucking in air along with water.

Ay chance you can post a picture? I'd imagine your pool must be pretty off level if the skimmer sucks air. Is your skimmer adjustable(made by Intex)? If it is, they can be adjusted pretty low with a knob on the back of the skimmer.

HTH,
Adam

The water reaches the skimmer at the "min water line" location. I dare not send a picture of my milky pool water LOL. It's bad enough we're 6 " in difference at the opposite side of the pool. :hammer:

I have the intex ultra 9 x 18 pool. I really like it so far, but I am contemplating a solar heater. We are at 84 deg right now, but with 95+ outside temps, everyone wants the pool a little warmer. I have had the pool over a month now, and I think I would like a bigger pump also. I have the 1500 gph. Can I run solar to the roof 10 to 12 feet high with an intex pump or should I buy a separate fountain/pond pump with a 10 foot head rating. Any opinions would be helpful

Definitely get a solar panel or two, they make a WORLD of difference. For now, you could just put it on the ground. I don't know if the 1500 GPH pump would be able to lift water to the roof. I suppose you could get a long hose, climb up on a ladder, hold the hose a foot or two above the height of the roof and see if the water will come out. If you do decide to do an upgrade, I STRONGLY reccomend you buy a "real" filter instead of another Intex one.

Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.