Aug 26, 2012
Liberty, Tx.
I have a 20'x4' (9500 gallon) vinyl pool that I opened about a month ago. I have been adding 84 oz. a day of bleach to keep the chlorine up, due to 0=CYA, Ph=7.2, TA=80. Sunday I put in 4lbs of stabilizer from Wal-Mart (in a sock and massaged it all day). Monday some friends gave us a little bucket of super chlorinating tablets and my wife put 2 tablets in the skimmer. Today I went out to test the water (HTH 6-way test kit) and the TC showed to be orange instead of yellow and PH=7.2. When I tried to test TA it only turned a light pink at 80ppm, never turned red. I then tested CYA and it was up to 90ppm. After reading the bucket of super chlorinating tablets I found out it has stabilizer in them also.

Do I have way too much chlorine in the pool causing it to be orange instead of yellow?

Will having too high CYA cause my readings to be off?

What should I do at this point, 56% water change?

Should I stop using the tablets since they have stabilizer in them?

Yes, stop using any solid chlorine until you get a handle on your real numbers. Color match test kits are subjective at best. Pick up a TF100 test kit so you can get exact numbers.

And yes, Orange is the next color for higher chlorine.

Hold off any water changes until you get a test kit.

To use Jason's line, The key to any solution is to get reliable test results. The best way to do that is to get your own top quality test kit.

With the higher CYA level, you'll need to run higher FC levels. It all becomes a guessing game on exact numbers unless you get a reliable test kit. You can check them out here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison. You will get more reagents with the TF 100. :goodjob:

Stop using the stabilized chlorine and stay with the unscented bleach. You can save the pucks and use them when your CYA levels get low (this usually happens to me in the Spring time with all the rain) or use them for vacations. :goodjob:

Got my TF-100 today and tested my pool. That was fast shipping. Ordered late Friday, and Monday being a holiday.
FC=12.5
CC=0 (never changed color from clear)
PH=7.2
TA=90
CH=120
CYA=80

This is after 4 1/2" of rain in 4 days. Had to drain pool several times during the 4 days. And expected to get another inch this weekend. What should I do at this time, if anything?

Got my TF-100 today and tested my pool. That was fast shipping. Ordered late Friday, and Monday being a holiday.
FC=12.5
CC=0 (never changed color from clear)
PH=7.2
TA=90
CH=120
CYA=80

This is after 4 1/2" of rain in 4 days. Had to drain pool several times during the 4 days. And expected to get another inch this weekend. What should I do at this time, if anything?
Is the water clear? I'd go swimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will come down after every good rain. I have to take water off mine again and I just added CYA last week because the rain was so much, I lost 15ppm CYA.

Since you have no pressing issues, can you please add your location to your profile and your stats to your signature as it will help us help you in the future and we won't have to ask a million times, where are you located and what kind of pump/pool/SWG you have or not. Thank you.

Like the others said, 80 is still a bit high, but if you live somewhere that gets a lot of rain it should come down soon enough. If the rain was a freak event for this time of year, you may want to drain and replace about 1/3 of your water

Thanks, I have added my location and pool info into my profile.

We normally dont get this much rain all at once. You being from SW Louisiana know what I mean. We get heavy storms followed by a month of drought. After this weekend of more stormes I will check again. What would be a good range of CYA in our area 40-60?

Liberty - right down the street.

I run 50 in my pool during the summer and let it dilute down with rainwater as low as 30 over the winter. Seems to be a winning combo for me.

Sounds like you are doing well, even without the TF. When you get test kit, you will be surprised to see how easy it is to manage with "real" results.

As for the orange test results, IMHO, with a CYA in the 80-90 range, keeping your FC between orange and "tweety bird" yellow is the range you want. When you get your test kit you can make real decisions based on accurate data.

Sounds like you are doing well, even without the TF. When you get test kit, you will be surprised to see how easy it is to manage with "real" results.

As for the orange test results, IMHO, with a CYA in the 80-90 range, keeping your FC between orange and "tweety bird" yellow is the range you want. When you get your test kit you can make real decisions based on accurate data.

Post #7 was with the TF-100 kit. The only test difference between HTH 6 way and TF-100 was the FAS/DPD. Which is the most important in my case. Might have to order a speedstir in a few days. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.