Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water generator and heater with previously chorinater pool.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Beaufort, SC

Question Salt water generator and heater with previously chorinater pool.

I conerted my pool to a salt water pool and it circulates through the heater. I have heard of people having trouble with water color turning torquise and eventually the heater inners came out into the pool. Is this possible? Is the salt water hard on the heater and will it eat through the metal. All the rest of my plumbing is PVC or rubber but heater has some cast iron and not sure what is on the inside. Heater is haywood and about 14 years old. Can anyone provide me some help. I don't use the heater much so could just plumb around it if you guys think that the low amount of salt is enough to eat into the heater. I know what salt water can do to a boats manifold but that is heavy concentrated salt in the ICW in SC. Thanks for any replies .. If somoene has a better idea of how to solve the problem if it is a problem. I also was told that the water does run through metal piping in the heater but that doesn't seem right.

Mark Raiteri
    10K gal, IG gunite, Installed 2000, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter, Aqua Pure Digital 35 K gal SWG, Haywood Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Salt water generator and heater with previously chorinater pool.

As long as you keep the chemistry balanced, I can't think of any reason the heater would be damaged by saltwater. As to the ocean comparison, IIRC, the salinity of the pool is 10X less than the ocean.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry