using pool with high fc level

donniespool

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 26, 2013
Tucson
I am in the slam process at the current time and am not interested in jumping in the 'off green monster'..but as I return to something close to normal, what is a safe level of fc to swim in? I believe I read somewhere that it was fairly high if you did not care about your suit...thanks

The original "Ben's Best Guess* Guide to Swimming Pool Chlorine" states that up to 25/30ppm "are generally harmless to naked swimmers, but can be quite damaging to swim suits. True competition suits, all polyester or all nylon suits are resistant. Very expensive fashion suits are NOT resistant!"

I'm not sure I would have an enjoyable swim at that level. I'm still working on getting my CYA down so I have to run higher chlorine levels and I have no problems in the 15+ range. As a matter of fact it's 14 now and I just got out....

The level of active chlorine at shock level is roughly 10x higher so swimming at that level can be considered the equivalent of swimming for 10 days instead of 1. It's equivalent to swimming in a pool with around 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA. So if you swam in this for a full season, you might notice degradation. My wife swam in a community center indoor pool with 1-2 ppm FC with no CYA and her swimsuits got shot (elasticity wore out) after just one winter season. In our own pool, she's gone 7 years of summer seasons before seeing such issues. Of course, it does depend on the quality of the swimsuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.