Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using pool with high fc level

1. Back To Top    #1

using pool with high fc level

I am in the slam process at the current time and am not interested in jumping in the 'off green monster'..but as I return to something close to normal, what is a safe level of fc to swim in? I believe I read somewhere that it was fairly high if you did not care about your suit...thanks
    in ground gunite/plaster 16x30..3-6-3 play pool, sand filter, 1 hp pump..single speed... built in 77 replastered in 05
    15300 gallons. chlorine tabs no longer...tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: using pool with high fc level

Better than that. It is safe to swim in your pool at lower than SLAM value. We have yet to hear of a report of faded suits following this guide.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The original "Ben's Best Guess* Guide to Swimming Pool Chlorine" states that up to 25/30ppm "are generally harmless to naked swimmers, but can be quite damaging to swim suits. True competition suits, all polyester or all nylon suits are resistant. Very expensive fashion suits are NOT resistant!"

I'm not sure I would have an enjoyable swim at that level. I'm still working on getting my CYA down so I have to run higher chlorine levels and I have no problems in the 15+ range. As a matter of fact it's 14 now and I just got out....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the info
    in ground gunite/plaster 16x30..3-6-3 play pool, sand filter, 1 hp pump..single speed... built in 77 replastered in 05
    15300 gallons. chlorine tabs no longer...tf-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Remember, that best guess guide was also dependent on CYA. FC of 30 wouldn't be an issue if CYA was at 150 (I hope no one here intentionally has CYA that high....).

Besides FC being below shock, the pool needs to be clear enough to see the bottom. You need to see a swimmer if they go under.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

The level of active chlorine at shock level is roughly 10x higher so swimming at that level can be considered the equivalent of swimming for 10 days instead of 1. It's equivalent to swimming in a pool with around 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA. So if you swam in this for a full season, you might notice degradation. My wife swam in a community center indoor pool with 1-2 ppm FC with no CYA and her swimsuits got shot (elasticity wore out) after just one winter season. In our own pool, she's gone 7 years of summer seasons before seeing such issues. Of course, it does depend on the quality of the swimsuit.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Remember, that best guess guide was also dependent on CYA. FC of 30 wouldn't be an issue if CYA was at 150 (I hope no one here intentionally has CYA that high....).
    Umm... yeah.. certainly not me at a CYA of 200 from the previous owner using Chlorbrite for 4 years and we are in a stage 2 drought that has had me put off a 70% drain and fill....
    22,000 gallon IG; plaster; 16x32 Rectangular, Depth 3.5-8Ft.
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter - 48sqft w/ cellulose fiber & Hayward Energy Flo RS Pump - .75HP (1.85SF)
    Very old 312sqft solar system, TFT-100 Kit with Speedstir