1st pool, gunite, on a budget, finished!!

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, does quote look okay?

I have a Dolphin Nautilus. Its exactly the same robot at the Triton without the float handle. It ROCKS!

Admittedly, in theory anyway, I like the idea of a steep slope in a smaller pool. To me, the slope serves a function that a drop-off could just as easily serve - getting to and from the deep end of a pool. That said, I know it's not the safest approach, and we are trying to err on the side of caution - my daughter is only 8, so we'll have lots of young children swimming for a while. So thankfully we made no changes to the design.

On the subject of safety, I've already decided - initially - to not allow non-swimmers in the pool. And I plan on being CPR certified by the time the pool opens.

Another subject entirely - I am looking at robot cleaners, and trying to decide between the Hayward Tigershark RC9950GR, the Dolphin Triton or the Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830. Does anyone have any suggestions, or are they all considered okay?

Can I just say, :lovetfp:

You're moving along! Looks good!

7 days post-gunite and not a lot to report. We've had more rain, so I've been watering it anywhere from 2-4 times a day. The gunite is not as smooth as it was the day it was sprayed, and there's a hole/indention. I texted my pool builder - they've not been here since the initial dig, and I would think they need to inspect the work before the next phase. The "spot" is only about 2"x1"x3/4" - not near as big as the weep holes that need to be filled in so - again - I am trying not to worry!

Rough spot

Indention? Hole? from a distance:

Indention? Hole? close-up:

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, mid-build

The roughness of the gunite is nothing to worry about Lisa. We've seen MUCH worse than this! The plaster will be applied a couple inches thick and really smoothed out for the final finish. The gunite is just there for structural purposes.

Question though, does that weep hole go all the way through the wall? They can put some grout in there to fill it and plaster right over but they should at a minimum grout the hole before plaster I would think.

Hi Divin Dave, - that's really good to hear!! The indention/hole doesn't go all the way through (it's about 1/2" deep) so maybe they can just patch and/or plaster right over it. It wasn't there on day one, and I just noticed it tonight when I was watering the gunite. I am really glad to hear it doesn't sound like a major issue. Thank you!

Thanks everyone!! The crew has been here the last 2 days, installing the plumbing and the equipment pad. Of course it rained after they put in the pad, so they are coming back today to fix that and maybe lay decking!!

Wow! Thats quite a significant plumbing mainifold! It's nice, and neat and looks great! Any decent man would be very proud of that!
That red clay looks eerily like the red clay that got dug up in my yard. :D

Oh yeah, you're in East Texas too. Don't you just love the stuff? Especially when it's wet. :?

When all the workers are done and gone, you can spruce up that PVC with the blue glue all over with a can of spray paint. The paint will also protect the PVC from the UV rays of the sun.

Divin Dave, I am about 30 miles away from you and you are right - nothing but red clay in this neck of the woods. I'm going to need to budget the refinishing of my hardwood floors, from all the mud we've tracked in!! Because, of course, it's rained a LOT around here since I signed my contract. :wink:

I am excited to report coping was started today! And was stopped early on too, because it started pouring. And I just realized, I drove in the rain to bring my builder the last big check - due upon completion of coping. LOL, I think I've asked them enough questions, they were probably due something from me. They really have been great through this process, and have patiently answered all my questions. Along with TFP!

Below are the pics of the coping that was started, and my selection of tile. I'll add more pics soon - hopefully tomorrow!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Coping and tile have now been installed, as well as the rebar for the deck. I ended up adding around 125 extra square feet of decking, and will probably add more next summer and then have it all stained. As much as I'd love to add more now, I really am holding tight to my budget and don't want to go over any more than I already have! I am waiting on the install of the decking, then we can start on the fence that will be installed between the pool and the alley.

We're getting close to being finished!!!

Lookin' awesome lisa! I like it!

Have you been doing any reading in Pool School to learn how to take care of the water once some is in there? Dont wait till the last minute and then say oops! LOL !

Thanks Dave! We are getting ready to go to Yellowstone, so I plan on doing lots of reading - at least on the flights!

Today we had concrete installed, and I'm afraid this will be the last update for a while. It was just not in the budget to pay the pool company several hundred dollars a day to do the brushing while we were away, so plaster will have to wait until I'm back. The one thing I'm doing before leaving is putting up a construction/safety fence. Once back, the vinyl fence can start to go up! The photo's below show how "unkempt" the yard is right now - it will all be tackled in a few weeks.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th!!

View towards the alley:

View towards the house. Even though there's direct access to the house, we didn't build directly in the back yard, because we have dogs and its more important for them to have that yard!

View towards the neighbor:

The reason for the pool:

Love your house and yard. Pool looks great! Enjoy your vacation. We are doing the same thing -- waiting to plaster until we return from our trip. Too much headache and worry to try and coordinate the brushing with a pool company. Happy 4th!

Love the free form and your big deck!

Oh and that's a pretty good reason to build a pool! :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone! I am back home now and ready to get this finished! The filter and electrical have been installed, just waiting on plaster (and the fence) which will hopefully happen early next week.

The weather is un-naturally cool here - we have temperatures in the 60's that are breaking records for mid-July in Texas. And it's raining again. I hate to say it, but I hope it warms up and the sun comes out soon- we want to swim!

Pics of the latest work below:

The electrical box had to be mounted on a pole. It couldn't be mounted to my house because its asbestos siding, which is no problem as long as the surface isn't broken.

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, almost finished!

Hi Lisa,
Glad to see you made it back, and you're right, it's been brrrrrr around here for several days. Its been unbelieveable. My water temp dropped 11 degrees, down to about 80 now.

The weather man says nice and sunny for the forseeable future though, so maybe they will get your plaster done before long. Can't wait to see pics!. That equipment pad looks good too. They did a nice job for sure and thank goodness they used Jandy valves instead of ball valves. You will love those things.

I have to admit, your PB seems to have done a good job Lisa. I'm not easy to impress when it comes to construction but your guys have done a great job from all accounts. I am a stickler for detail, and from many of the pics you've posted, your guys have paid attention to them. Everything is nice and neat, just the way it should be. You did well picking your PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.