Too Many Elbows?

hp223

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
Houston, TX
I just had a new Jandy Valve and Challenger pump installed.

The previous installation had no elbows from the Jandy Valve to the pump intake and 1 90 degree elbow on the pump output side to connect the pump to to the diverter valve.

The new installation has 4 90 degree elbows from the Jandy valve to the Pump intake and 3 90 degree and 3 45 degree elbows to connect from the pump to the diverter valve.

There was room to install a PVC coupling in the pipes coming out of the ground and make the installation only use 1 90 degree elbow like the previous installation.

From what I understand you want to minimize the number of 90 degree turns in a system.

Is this ok or should I try to get them to correct it.

Thanks
Glenn

Attachments

• elbow1.jpg
    elbow1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 154
  • elbow2.jpg
    elbow2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 151
Somebody REALLY likes to make PVC joints! :D

I would personally clean those 90's and 45's up but there is no rush. The extra restrictions they place on the system are surprisingly small.

It's really whether or not it bothers you to look at it. It's far more a cosmetic issue than a functional problem.

That looks like a squirrels nest! LOL

I cant see why they would need any elbows between the new jandy and pump output. They should have been able to adjust the height of the newly coupled return lines at the bottom of the jandy to line up with the pump output.

That madness between the filter control valve and the pump intake nearly leaves me at a loss of words...... Above and beyond all the elbows it clearly shows two couplings that shouldn't have been needed if they were properly dry fitting their work and using all new material prior to the glue up.

IMHO there were a few extra tools in the box on this job.

I would watch this setup like a hawk for several days. That outcome does not instill my confidence. I will agree that if it doesn't leak it is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.