Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too Many Elbows?

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Too Many Elbows?

I just had a new Jandy Valve and Challenger pump installed.

The previous installation had no elbows from the Jandy Valve to the pump intake and 1 90 degree elbow on the pump output side to connect the pump to to the diverter valve.

The new installation has 4 90 degree elbows from the Jandy valve to the Pump intake and 3 90 degree and 3 45 degree elbows to connect from the pump to the diverter valve.

There was room to install a PVC coupling in the pipes coming out of the ground and make the installation only use 1 90 degree elbow like the previous installation.

From what I understand you want to minimize the number of 90 degree turns in a system.

Is this ok or should I try to get them to correct it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    29.2K Gallon Pool/Spa - Gunite/Diamond Brite
    Houston, TX Built 1983, Replastered June 14, 2013
    2 HP Sta-Rite Pump with replacement 2 speed motor, 60 SF Nautilus DE Filter
    Stenner Pump, No Heater, 280 Polaris
    TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Too Many Elbows?

Somebody REALLY likes to make PVC joints!

I would personally clean those 90's and 45's up but there is no rush. The extra restrictions they place on the system are surprisingly small.

It's really whether or not it bothers you to look at it. It's far more a cosmetic issue than a functional problem.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

It looks cleaner than what I got with my house. If it works and doesn't leak, leave it alone. That's what I've been doing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Cincinnati, OH

That looks like a squirrels nest! LOL

I cant see why they would need any elbows between the new jandy and pump output. They should have been able to adjust the height of the newly coupled return lines at the bottom of the jandy to line up with the pump output.

That madness between the filter control valve and the pump intake nearly leaves me at a loss of words...... Above and beyond all the elbows it clearly shows two couplings that shouldn't have been needed if they were properly dry fitting their work and using all new material prior to the glue up.

IMHO there were a few extra tools in the box on this job.

I would watch this setup like a hawk for several days. That outcome does not instill my confidence. I will agree that if it doesn't leak it is fine.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

A Rubiks Cube of PVC!@.............but no harm done.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Dallas, TX

It's not plumbing, it's sculpture!
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.