Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might be moving to Kansas City - advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

Might be moving to Kansas City - advice?

I'm looking at a job opportunity in Kansas City, does anyone have any advice or recommendations on areas that are good to live in (family oriented ... We have a 3 month old).

Thanks!

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Might be moving to Kansas City - advice?

Johnson County KS, on the southwest side of the KC metro area, contains several communities that are rated among the best in the US to live. Among them include Olathe, Overland Park, and Shawnee. I am most familiar with Olathe (pronounced O_lay_the) as I have family that have lived there for some time. It is a very family-oriented community. My experience is that the people in KC are among the most friendly of any large metro area in the country plus the traffic situation is considerably more sane relative to other large metros.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

We have family living. in Liberty. It's north of KC with an easy drive to the airport. Nice family area, good schools, and rolling hills.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

Great tips y'all. Keep them coming!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

5. Back To Top    #5

My nieces & nephew go to school in Parkhill School District and live in Weatherby Lake. The high school is huge to me, but they are super happy there.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

6. Back To Top    #6

parkhill is a great school district

7. Back To Top    #7

Take a look at this. Slow loading. Maybe zoom out a little.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I used to live I'm Kansas City for 30 years before moving to Florida. There are many nice parts, many have been mentioned above. Do you know yet where you will be working potentially? What type of activities do you and your family enjoy?
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll be in and out of the airport a lot. We love anything outdoors. Particularly camping and mountain biking.

Excellent stuff y'all. Thank you!

10. Back To Top    #10

I would agree with the recommendation of Liberty or Park Hill School district then. Both great areas and much closer to the airport. The airport is way north of downtown KC.
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Another consideration, which applies to any metro area that spans across state lines, is the tax situation. Will you be working out of Kansas or Missouri? If you live in one state but work in another, you could be hit with taxes from two tax jurisdictions. I'm not sure of the specifics in the KC area, but in other metros (NYC being among them), it is not uncommon for someone who lives in CT or NJ to pay taxes to NY (where the office is). Just something else to look into as you consider your options.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

12. Back To Top    #12

One more thing: I hear they got some crazy little women there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

kc has a 1percent tax if you live in the metro / smithville might be out of it and also liberty. but you should check

14. Back To Top    #14

we lived at Barry rd and hwy 169, it was 12 minutes to the airport vs 45 to 60 minutes to Johnson county ks. convenient and good schools

15. Back To Top    #15

The 1% tax applies if you live OR work in Kansas City proper. I always commuted from the MO side to employment in the KS side and the cross state income tax thing is a bit of a pain, but you do get some relief.

16. Back To Top    #16

Fortunately I'll be officing from home - should make it easier to dodge that part of the tax bullet.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'd recommend someplace close to an Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. My first bite, I instantly knew it was the best BBQ I had ever had....

There are a lot of smaller communities outside of KC also. I'm in Topeka.
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree about bbq, no dodging the tax bullet if you live in metro,my wife worked at home for Illinois and iowa company

19. Back To Top    #19

I fly a LOT for a living. MCI is one of my least favorite airports. I wish they'd update it and get some good restaurants in there!

As stated above, go to Oklahoma Joe's for BBQ. Skip Smokehouse.

When I'm not traveling, I office out of the house too. It's great when you have a beautiful day and can take the laptop out by the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

Katos for sushi, 54th street for bar food, culinary inst for date night,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast