Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY waterfall plumbing HELP !! Can i drill a return thru my pool wall or ??

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY waterfall plumbing HELP !! Can i drill a return thru my pool wall or ??

DIY waterfall plumbing HELP !! Can i drill a return thru my pool wall or ??

i was thinking of drilling a return line thru my wall bout 12 inchs below waterline and use that to run pvc to
    pump for my waterfalls .... here are some pics please ignore all the stuff in the pool was a windy day and all go
    blown out of dumpster into pool ....fyi will be getting replasted in few days ....

click to view images http://goo.gl/5iH1xg

why cant i post images ??? 100k images says to large ?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DIY waterfall plumbing HELP !! Can i drill a return thru my pool wall or ??

I would strongly suggest have a professional do that sort of thing. The last thing you want is to get a leak/crack right before summer!

Also, about the pics, I made this tutorial about how to include them. Hope this helps!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...h-screenshots)

3. Back To Top    #3

Why don't you plumb your water feature from your filter line(add a 3 way valve) and use your existing return?
    13,000 gallon IG
    PCC IG cleaning system
    Pentair equip.
    Attached spa
    Dire need for surface refinish!

4. Back To Top    #4

its a good 75 feet to the pump under concrete ....want to avoid that

5. Back To Top    #5

Where's that suction return in the second picture? Is it under concrete? Dig that one out and connect to it. Even if you have to cap off or reduce the return nozzle size to get the amount of water flow thru the water feature.
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 36racin View Post
    Where's that suction return in the second picture? Is it under concrete? Dig that one out and connect to it. Even if you have to cap off or reduce the return nozzle size to get the amount of water flow thru the water feature.
    Why is it such a big deal to just drill through the pool wall and then seal it with hydraulic concrete?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Would there be an issue if you hit rebar? Or a couple bars tied together? Just thinking of the worst. Otherwise i tend to agree with you buit that's my 35,000' uneducated guess/opinion.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Would there be an issue if you hit rebar? Or a couple bars tied together? Just thinking of the worst. Otherwise i tend to agree with you buit that's my 35,000' uneducated guess/opinion.
    Just drill thru the rebar ? what am i missing ? why hire a "pro" to drill ? my dads a contractor , has the tools ...
    im just saying before the replastering is done ... and i asked the plaster guy he said he would outsource the job and
    its would be $300 ? maybe more for a hole ? i mean the pro could easily hit rebar as well and then whats he gonna
    do differently ? I am gonna go for it and document it then post it ..shouldnt be such a big deal ....
    Last edited by Casey; 05-23-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Cussing

9. Back To Top    #9

The main problem i see is that you are adding a drain. Drains usually require pairing or other steps to make them compliant with the Virginia Graeme Baker Act. Your drain MUST comply.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall