Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moved Filter & pump ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Moved Filter & pump ??

Hey all...
    New to forum,,,,, seems like a great resource.....
    Here goes....
    I have an inground 18X36.... filter is noisy and ugly so I decided to move it
    It was literally right next to the pool, and I moved it approx. 50 ft away, mostly downhill.
    I have 1 1/2 plumbing, and a 1 hp pump.... I seem to move a good amount of water, but I cannot
    run the slide that has a 1" line from the discharge.... no water makes it to the top of the slide...
    I will say that my motivation was to get a VS pump, so I am hoping that this will remedy my issue....
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.......

Also, how can I determine the turn over of my pool..... How long it takes to filter all the water....
    Thank you in advance.....
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moved Filter & pump ??

I can't help with the slide issue. That's a head loss calculation that's beyond my ability.

As for the pump run time, turnover means nothing. Our recommendation is on a clean pool, experiment with what works. Start with 12 hours. If it stays clean, back it to 10. If it stays clean, back it to 8. If it gets hazy, increase the run time. Trial and error is really the best way to do it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

You would need to restrict the flow to the returns with a valve, or maybe eyeballs, to increase pressure to the slide.

4. Back To Top    #4

Would an increase in pump HP help with this issue as well??
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

5. Back To Top    #5

Increasing pump size would not be a good choice to resolve this issue. Restricting the return flow would be a better choice.