May 19, 2014
Corona, CA
Hello everyone, I am new here and have been using the pool school to "school" myself on all things pool (new home/pool owner). When we purchased our home, we knew that the pool needed pretty decent repairs. The pool is usable but skimmer is not due to cracks in the coping in that spot causing leakage. We recently started having an algae problem due to not existent chlorine levels. We are currently in the process of a 36 hour shock session. We added algaecide and shock treatment, ran pump for 12 hours. Another shock treatment this morning and another 12 hours with pump running. I have one more dose to go but this morning my filter was showing 30psi. Max for my filter is 50 psi (per the manual) but should I shut it all down and backwash or am I OK to finish pool treatment? I have about 16 hours to go. I need the algae gone and chlorine level up but I also need a working filter.
Help.

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us!

You are following pool store advice. So now you have to decide whether to continue that, or to follow the advice here. The two don't mix.

You are going to need a GOOD test kit to go through the SLAM process. It is a little different than what the pool store calls shock, because it uses science instead of guess. If you read up in Pool School, you'll find everything you need there.

For your test kit, I recommend you get the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. Amazing kit.

I have a test kit but unfortunately I purchased it before I found all of you fine people here. It tests for FC, CC, TA, pH & Acid Demand. Does not test for CYA or CH. As for the test that I had done on my water here is where I am at. Forgive me on missing info, I am going off of memory.
FC-0, CC-0, TA-120, CYA-100, CH-200, TDS-1400, pH-8.0, Phosphates-50. I'm more concerned about my filter failing due to the high pressure. I think I need to see where my chlorine level is tonight when I get home to determine if the 3rd dose of shock is even necessary.

As a general rule of thumb you want to clean your filter when pressure is 25% above its clean filter pressure.

If those test results can be trusted (pool stores are notoriously incorrect, particularly on CYA), your CYA is too high for easily managing your chlorine.

I'm more concerned about my filter failing due to the high pressure.
That won't be a problem. Your pump cannot produce enough pressure to damage your filter.....it's designed that way.

Your sequence should be to get your equipment running correctly first and then work on your pool water chemistry (algae) when you are able to operate the equipment properly.

Filter seemed to be working just fine when I started but pressure shot up yesterday morning. Everything was fine when I got home last night. Water is clear and free of algae now. =) Now I get to tackle the fun task of cleaning the filter. As I had stated before, we are the new homeowners so I do not know the last time it was actually cleaned out. Thinks it s bad idea to try and fully clean it myself?

Filter seemed to be working just fine when I started but pressure shot up yesterday morning. Everything was fine when I got home last night. Water is clear and free of algae now. =) Now I get to tackle the fun task of cleaning the filter. As I had stated before, we are the new homeowners so I do not know the last time it was actually cleaned out. Thinks it s bad idea to try and fully clean it myself?
Nope, it's a good idea. Then you will know what the clean pressure is for sure.

Hopefully, you don't discover what this person did: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58233-Extremely-dirty-D-E-filter!-Help!

I read the tutorial and I think I will just take it apart first rather then back-washing first. I don't really have good means of directing all that dirty water into a safe place. My city does not allow pool filter media to go anywhere but the sewer and my clean out is too far away from the pad. This way I can clean it off and put into the garbage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.